Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Trello & Microsoft Project

Kiran Belsekar October 30, 2017

What is the difference between Trello & Microsoft Project? I am evaluating a tool for Enterprise Project Management. Will both do the same job for me? Any your views which is better and why?

2 answers

1 vote
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2017

Hi! 

As I understand both tool get for you enough functionality. 

Hence you have another paramaters like:

1. Price

2. Supported system

3. Integration with different tools

4. Easy to use

5. Scalability 

about price: 

1. Trello cheaper than Project, 25 vs ~10 USD (it is hack trello need to pay monthly, the same for Project)

2. Trello win, because it is web based softwarem hence it is supported. 

3. Trello has good API, hence easy to integrate with other RESTfull products.

4. Fortunately, Project has so many features hence it is has legacy. UX so hard to use it.

5. MS Project provide for you (on-promises server edition software), hence you have more opportunity to scale, configure etc. 

Trello scaled by vendors, I mean Atlassian. About backups you will need to use export funtionality  http://help.trello.com/article/747-exporting-data-from-trello-1

But for Enterprise project management you should understand your company is flexible  startup or  large enterprise. How important is fast communication, collaboration, planning for projects. 

I hope I have answered to your question.

Thanks 

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2017

I'd also look at what you are trying to achieve with them.

If you have a rigid, fixed plan with goals and deadlines, trying to deal with resource dependencies in a fixed order, and you know that you've got a list of everything that needs doing, then you probably have a "waterfall" project, and MS-Project is a good choice.

If you have a more fluid, flexible thing where pieces of work are regularly rearanged and more added, something more "Agile", then Trello is going to be a better bet.

Or even use both - Project for the overall plan, and Trello for your day-to-day and breakdowns of bigger pieces of work.

(Frankly though, the Waterfall approach is a dinosaur in most fields - highly suited to certain types of project, but most of the world is a lot more Agile nowadays)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events