Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom actions on update emails to Trello

Wenbin Yang May 20, 2019

Hello everyone,

I have been using Trello for a year. Everything is perfect, except for one issue. I have forwarded all emails from my Gmail to Trello. New emails notification is good. However, for the update emails (you know, people often discuss things back and forth in the same email), Trello just adds them as messages at the bottom of the Trello card. What even worse is that if I have archived that card, there will not be any notification if any update email comes in. 

What I expect is that when I receive an email (no matter a new one or an update one), Trello will create a new card at the most top position in the first list (I name this list "Inbox") or reopen the old card at the same place. And put the newest message as the content.

Is there any way I can achieve this goal? Even some programming work required, I'd like to try.

Thank you.

A Trello lover,

Wenbin

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2019

@Wenbin Yang yep, this is a huge problem IMHO and one that I reported years ago. It's the fact that this happens which means I basically abandoned the "Email to board" feature of Trello.

Recently, the Gmail add-on for Trello became available in the Gmail mobile app which means that you can more easily create cards from your emails on any device which may be a useful workflow instead of using the email to board feature.

I also created Benko Board which allows you to use Trello as a Gmail client, completely obviating the need to forward/add cards into Trello:

https://trello.com/integrations/#/benkoboard

Wenbin Yang May 20, 2019

@Iain Dooley 

Thank you for your answer. I checked this Benko Board. It is better than expected. 

However, it is not clear how you would charge for this service? Is it $49 forever or for a year?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2019

@Wenbin Yang currently it's $49 one off. It runs inside your Google Drive, so I don't have to host it. In future I may make it $49 annually, but anyone who buys now will have it at $49 forever as a one off payment :)

Wenbin Yang May 20, 2019

@Iain Dooley  Awesome. Is G-suite still required? I read that on your product announcement post. Any other requirement?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2019

@Wenbin Yang you can *technically* use it with a free Gmail account but it exhausts the quotas, so a G-Suite account is highly recommended.

No other requirements :)

Wenbin Yang May 20, 2019

@Iain Dooley  Great. I'll try it.

Like Iain Dooley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events