Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Fields for a single card

Tanya Haegele November 20, 2019

I am trying to set custom fields for a SINGLE card, but unfortunately the custom fields then appear across all cards.  I then tried to create a template, but still, the custom fields appear across all cards. 

Is there any work-around or fix for this? 

Thank you.

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2019

@Tanya Haegele there's no way to have custom fields for an individual card, but have you thought about just putting the values in the description like:

___

Name: Value

Name 2: Value 2

___

You can use markdown to format it so that it looks kind of separate

Tanya Haegele November 21, 2019

Thank you!  This is a good workaround - I will do it this way.  

Andrew Castle November 22, 2019

That is disappointing to hear. Since each card will usually have its own unique subject, it would seem like custom fields should be unique to each card. I'd love to see that developed in the future.

Like # people like this
Tanya Haegele November 23, 2019

I can only second this, it would be an extremely useful feature to have. 

Like # people like this
Jim Lacy December 2, 2019

Me too. If a card with Custom Fields had a checkbox, apply to this card only, that would be really useful for my clients. Has anyone heard from Custom Fields development team to know whether they're working on something and when it might be released?

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Outright Systems Pvt. Ltd. November 20, 2019

Custom fields at trello are Board level things, I am not sure they can adjust in such a way .. Better we get an official answer.

0 votes
Clough's of Nantwich June 7, 2020

I too would really find this useful.  Fingers crossed the developers are working on it.

0 votes
Ricardo B. January 8, 2020

To redefine custom fields as card-specific would probably be a nightmare for the development team. Impossible to keep backward compatibility.

An alternative solution would be to allow for custom fields to be hidden/visible on a per-list or per-card basis.

I have several boards where cards in one list (or in a group of lists) need a certain set of custom fields, while cards in another list need other fields.

Andrew Castle January 9, 2020

I like this alternative solution - This would allow for a list of custom fields that can be selected/de-selected for each card, and applied as needed.

We are in a situation where we need a dozen or more custom fields, but each field should only on one one or two cards per board.

Like # people like this
Jim Lacy January 9, 2020

Alternative solution?!

I think that’s is what I was saying in the first place, select or deselect the fields you need for the card in question...isn’t this just a simple filtering solution that custom fields could introduce as an optional layer of customisation ??

Like Pam Weiner likes this
Pam Weiner March 18, 2020

This would be an amazing option... I use boards for a lot of different things (including inventory control and communication with other departments), and not having the ability to toggle the fields is really frustrating. I realize I could put things in the description, but that basically defeats the purpose of having custom fields at all, as far as I am concerned.

Like # people like this
Nikki February 2, 2021

Echoing the original post and comments above - if it reduces the development challenge, I would love the ability to apply Custom Fields only to template cards as they are the part of the workflow needing consistent data capture.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events