Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Checklist Link with Trello Card In Least Possible Steps....

Santiago September 20, 2020

Hello my fellow Trelloids. I'm trying to hash out this issue I'm having with Butler. I've been using the same set of Butler commands for a while now, but I've noticed of late that a set of them haven't been operating as expected. So I've submitted a ticket with Trello to inquire. I haven't heard back so I'll post here and see if I get a quicker response. Here is my cut and paste:

I'm using a Butler rule that is supposed to create a link from a checklist item...Actually convert it from a checklist item to a link to another Trello card. Better illustrated through the following screenshots. 

https://www.screencast.com/t/k7W8jjZKK

https://www.screencast.com/t/7OhX8eIkYl

Is there a step I'm missing, or something that I'm doing wrong, or something that has changed with Trello that no longer converts the checklist item into a hyperlink?

UPDATE

I was able to add a step within the Butler Power Up (under the "Cascade" action); however, this seems redundant. I don't believe I ever needed this step before. Did something recently change with Butler? Is there a more efficient way I can go about linking the checklist item with the newly created Trello card? It goes without saying that creating these Butler commands with the least number of actions it ideal for a number of reasons. In order to more clearly illustrate my point, I created this ScreenFlow video:https://vimeo.com/459980717. Your insight and expertise would be greatly appreciated. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2020

@Santiago i think the issue is that you have:

using pattern "{checklistitemname}"

because what that means is that you're converting it to a linked card but not using the card link in the checklist item.

The "using pattern" applies to the checklist item name, not the card that's being created, the created card will automatically inherit the name of the checklist item from which it's created.

Santiago September 20, 2020

Thank you Lain so much for brining this to my attention. The only reason I used the variable in the first place was because the action wasn't working in the first place without it. The command would create a Trello card, but wouldn't convert the checklist item into a hyperlink. This is why I decided to try the {checklistitemname} variable. I had no idea that this variable pertained to the Checklist item and not the Trello card. I had those two backwards. Hmmm...

So I decided to eliminate the variable, and the additional step of linking the two cards. In other words, I went back to the original command. And it started working again! So weird. But this is a metaphor for my life. Seems like this happens on a regular occurrence with me. 

Oh well. Not sure why it wasn't working working before, or why it started working now, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Thanks again!

Zack Arnold February 12, 2021

Answered my own question. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events