Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create new list on a board with all cards copied from another board (with dependencies)

K Walters April 10, 2021

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone has a better solution to this than I have...

Scenario is that I have a board with a list of suppliers and each list has a list of cards each representing a different product.  The products go through different stages (we use labels on the product cards to mark the different stages).  Once a product reaches the final stage (for example the blue label), the item is ready to be ordered.  For one supplier there might be 4 different products (cards) in a list and ultimately we want all the products in the list to form a collection (list) on another board (product launch board).  The collection name is not determined in advance, so I figure we will have to create a card in the list called 'collection....' that will act as a trigger to create the new collection list on the other board.  Where I am stuck is how we get the product cards from the original list/board to show on that new list on the other board, considering the collection name is not determined in advance and considering that all lists on the product launch board will start with 'collection', so we need to ensure the cards are copied/transferred to the right collection list. So, in this case setting up a rule that when a card label is changed to blue, copy card to list starting with name 'collection...' list will not work.

Initial thoughts were that we could merge all the product cards into the 'collection...' card.  Is this possible?

Is it possible to set up a rule that once the label of a card in this list is changed to blue for example, that it can be linked or added as an attachment to the card entitled 'collection...'?

Ultimately what we want to achieve is that a list is created on another board that shows the entire collection in the one list.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Ryan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2021

Hi there,

Good question! I've read through your issue a couple of times to get an idea of what you're trying to do, and I have a couple of ideas that you could look into, but they may not perfectly meet your requirements.

1. A simple way to do this, would be to view the collection of product cards on our Workspace Table View. This allows you to group cards together based on certain filters such as labels, lists or boards.
  2. You could set up some automation around this. Depending on whether you want this "collection" shown as separate cards on a new board or linked from one card will depend on how you set this up. For example, one automation could be trigger when a blue label is added to a card, this creates a new card on another board. You could also use variables to customise what content should be included on the new card. If you're new to automation with Butler, take a look here for more information about setting up these rules: https://help.trello.com/article/1198-an-intro-to-butler
  3. If you're looking to sync cards from one board to another, then it might be useful to take a look a third-party Power-up such as Unito which offers some features that will help you to achieve this.

I hope this gives you some ideas of where you could go with this. It sounds like a specific workflow that you're trying to set up, so I'd definitely recommend trying out some of the options and seeing what works best for you!

K Walters April 13, 2021

@Ryan Thanks for responding.  I will take a look at the workspace table view and Unito.  I am not new to Butler, just seems like I need a bit more than Butler on this occasion.

K Walters April 13, 2021

@Ryan  What I was hoping is possible is the following;

On board 1 (made up of lists that represent suppliers and cards in each list that represent products):

I cannot create rules with specific supplier/list names as new suppliers will be added at various points.

So this is what I want to create/do - Board 1

When a card is created starting with the name collection... (e.g. collection playtex), create a new list on Board 2 with the same name as that card.  So, the new list would be called collection Playtex for example.  I KNOW HOW TO SET UP THIS COMMAND IN BUTLER.

Then what I would like to do is for the rest of the cards in the source list, whenever their label is changed to a different colour.  E.g. changed to yellow, that that card will copy to the list that was created in Board B. But taking into account that I will not know the collection name in advance.

Board 2

I was thinking their might be some code for when the label on a card from the source list is changed to yellow, copy the card to the new list on Board 2.

Is something list this possible?

If not, it would be good to know a code/variable for specific a card position.  E.g. If I make the rule that if a card is created starting with the name 'collection' that it goes to top of list, so then, I could create another rule that when the yellow label is a added to a card, copy it to list name (in board 2) that has the same name as the card in position 1.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events