Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy only specific checklist items from card to another cards ("master checklist")

Gino Latino March 30, 2018

Hello!

I'm new to Trello and enthusiast of it.

At last I've found the definitive task/todo manager I've been searching for in the last years, and I'm likely to upgrade to Gold subscription.

I'm planning how to organize my individual home/work/study todos and I strongly miss one feature: I'd like to create "template" cards with universal checklists inside, for example "all the possible subtasks I can face at work", or "all possible items to be inserted in a grocery shopping list". Now, it's possible to duplicate the "template" card to an "operative" one and eliminate the checklist items that don't apply, but if the "masters" are composed by hundreds of items and the "operative" by tens, the operation is not very fast and convenient.

I think the top solution would be to be able to duplicate to another card a single checklist item by a context menu command (right click) or by a drag and drop operations (maybe with Ctrl to copy and not move... it's a "master" and I wouldn't want to eliminate items from the original checklist! :-). The best of the best would be the pre-selection of the tens of checklist items inside the hundreds of the master, and a single command to copy all the bunch to another checklist in another card.

Is there something goin' on in the development? Or a good workaround, even using power-ups?

Thanks in advance

Alessandro

1 answer

0 votes
Francis Peixoto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2018

My personal task board is managed with template cards that are each composed of several checklists. Since they are tasks, each checklist is in a time based context.

Each template card will have the following checklists:

• daily
  • weekly
  • monthly
  • yearly

I then have the butlerbot powerup check on several appropriate schedules and generate cards from the checklists that apply. Each scheduler looks at all the cards in the "Templates" list and creates cards from there.

• Every day at 1AM
  • Every week on Monday
  • Every month on the 1st
  • Every year on Jan 1st

This way, the only cards that get created from the master checklists are the ones that are relevant.

I know your use case is not exactly the same, but segmenting your lists into more granular contexts may reduce the amount of post copy cleanup you need to do. There's no native way in Trello to copy partial checklists. You're more than welcome to suggest the idea: https://help.trello.com/article/724-submitting-feature-requests-for-trello

Peter Eskarous January 27, 2020

So there is no way to create a new card and copy unchecked items from another cards checklist into the new card?

Not even using a Butler or similiar command?

Like Rafael Rodriguez likes this
Rafael Rodriguez March 26, 2020

this would be nice

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events