Copy card to another board and create a link

Kim Cramer September 29, 2020

I'm looking to create a link between 2 cards on 2 different boards when I copy them.  I know I can use butler to do this by creating a rule to copying a card to another board and link it, but that involves knowing ahead of time what board and list you want it to go to.  I also know I can manually copy a card to another board but I don't see a way to also link it - is there a way to link back to the original card as well? 

2 answers

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2020

@Kim Cramer I tested this with on the target board with a manual copy 

when a card is added to the board, link the cards together

This rule has to be on boards where you would potential be copying to.

In Butler rules, telling it to copy a card will need its destination of board/list but the above will be triggered as well. Tested this

when the due date is marked as complete in a card, copy the card to the top of list "List 1" on board "Test Board"

Am I missing something here? 

Kim Cramer September 30, 2020

No, as I mentioned above I know I can do that.  I was trying to see if there was another option without using butler but still getting cards to link together.  

thank you though 👍🏻

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2020

@Kim Cramer I was about to suggest using webhook and watch for idModel = board_id but I remembered you want to do it for any board which means many such webhooks - which is pretty much equivalent to inserting the Butler commands on every board. 

Presumably, it also for any user?

Yes, if possible.  It would totally work if Trello added the share function for a card as it does for a board.  That’s exactly what I need.  (I use Apple products) Then it would automatically link back to the original source.  No rules necessary  👍🏻

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2020

@Kim Cramer you could create several labels like "Copy to Board 1" and then create Butler rules for each of those labels to copy and link the cards.

You might also be able to trigger when a card is created in a board, find the card that it was copied from using the {sourcecardlink} variable and link them together. You would have to enable that rule in all the boards into which cards were being copied, though, rather than the board from which you were copying the cards.

Yes but this is again using butler? 
and I would have to think thru / create rules for each board before I was able to copy cards.  
I was trying to see if there was another way 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events