Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting checklist to a time entry

Kinley Bray July 1, 2021

I'm using trello for client workflow in a professional services firm. Each client has a card, which describes the workflow and status, and then I use a kanban board to track what needs to be addressed right away, what I need to work on in the near term, and what is on hold. The workflow is in the form of a checklist on each card (because the workflow is different for each client, it's gotta be a custom "to-do" type list). 

I'd like to figure out a way to automate checking off one of my to-do lists with an activity log or, better yet, an entry on another board for time tracking/billing purposes. 

For example:

CLIENT/MATTER

Checklist

* call susie

* file application

* send service copies to brad

* follow up on [calendar entry]

When I check off "call Susie" I would like Trello to automatically create an item on a card or a card itself (not sure which) for purposes of time tracking. That card or item on a card would be called TIME would give me the opportunity to take the automatic template "CLIENT/MATTER * call Susie" and use a timer create a billing slip for that activity. At the end of the day, theoretically, all my time would be tracked and could be annotated as necessary as we copy/paste into the firm's billing system. Does this unicorn exist? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
reidt July 1, 2021

Of course unicorns exist!

First off you would need a timer Power-Up from Trello (I recommend Activity) and then you could use Unito.io to sync whichever tasks you want to a board of your choice for billing purposes as soon as you put them into your Done column.

Activity

Unito.io

Kinley Bray July 1, 2021

Thank you so much!! I will give it a try. I’ve got Activity already set up, so now I’ll play with unito. I appreciate it! 

Like reidt likes this
0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2021

@Kinley Bray 

There all many time tracking power ups you can use with your boards.

Trello does have the ability to provide card age and card time in list information. You can use these to implement your own time tracking. Do note that the latter does not accumulate time in list when there is a card re-enters a list. If you need this then you will need to work with api. Did this for a client whose workers held several tasks at the same time. The last bit will be to consider how you gather the time records for your billing. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events