Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command Quota

Robert Farnsworth July 28, 2020

How do I increase my company's command quota without moving up a class. We are already business class with only 10 users and we frequently reach our command quota before the month ends.

2 answers

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2020

@Robert Farnsworth  Command quotas and, for that matter, API Rate Limits are real challengers for Trello users especially when deployed in an enterprise setting. IMO the command quota is just a higher level abstraction of the API rate limits https://help.trello.com/article/838-api-rate-limits and the recommendation there is to use webhooks.

The platform that I am using for most of my investigation is Wayscript which already has a set of triggers and modules. The means that you can use them to overcome the quotas. However, it does mean more effort to decide what to offload to this approach and the development and testing required before deployment. One very trivial limitation I found for me what that the triggers requires a user account to that these modules and triggers can be set to specific boards, list or cards.

@Vongsawat have probably heard me advocate for Butler. IMO the bigger issue is the cost of doing business when quotas have been exceeded.

I have a series of investigations done which I have created videos. See my profile re website (yes, just a link to youtube playlist). The latest few goes further to investigate on Power Ups and dashboard. Now I am studying on how webhooks can be used to complement my Power Up and Dashboard to mitigate risk of hitting rate limits.

My apologies for a long answer to your question. There is a solution out there that works best for you and your enterprise.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2020

I am not as familiar with Butler as much I should.

I just came across http request when reading a reply on quotas. Why it excites me?

Recently, I created Superhero Power where registered users can execute pre-tested modules in a Sandbox. It has moved from there to a concept, I called Superhero Basecamp, where the user brings the app in house and execute the code from a board via custom Card button through an endpoint in Superhero Power.

I would imagine you can offload most of the routine processing that way to an endpoint while staying within the rate limits. There is probably no limits on what one can do once the endpoint receives the data....e.g. setup a webhook that will monitors all actions ...do something about them and remove the webhook, or use existing webhook but activate work based on the specific requirements submitted at the endpoint to customise the behaviours etc end of day/week/month processing

Above is conceptual at this moment as I have not tested it. Might just do one today.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2020

OK. Here's the proof of concept for POST request. Will probably have to build some initial authorisation so that the called endpoint have access to the your boards etc.

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 10.25.57 AM.png

0 votes
Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2020

Not the best solution, but every additional user is an additional 200 command runs in the pooled command quota, so one way may be to buy additional dummy seats?

The better option is probably just aggressively streamlining Butler to use as little rules as possible, and just go ham on operations per rule instead for instance.

If you have a rule triggering 20 times a day, whose minor update is necessary but maybe not immediately. Maybe think of making a Card Button instead, that filters for all the un-updated cards, puts them in to a TempList as links, then acts on each of them in bulk, before deleting the TempList. Maybe splurge with 2 command runs and have that trigger on a Scheduled Rule at the end of every day. etc. Or replace the Scheduled Rule with a non-Butler Repeating Card power-up.

Probably not the answer you're looking for. But hope that helps. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events