• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Hi there....I recently upgraded to Business Class and I have 6 boards that I use for my team...my goal is to create cards and have those cards added to the other board for the person who is responsible for the task and when they update that card it comes back to my card as well but I can't figure that out...help

1 answer

0 votes
Esme Crutchley Community Leader Apr 28, 2020

Hi @Mark_Salonius 

Welcome to the Community!

The only option that I know of that can do a true mirror of cards across boards, is the card mirroring PowerUp, however I believe that this might be a paid PowerUp.

You can achieve something similar with Butler, however there are two options in Butler; you can either move the card to the relevant board, or you can create a copy of the card and link them together.

However, the problem with moving the card to the relevant board is that it disappears from the original board, so if you wanted to keep an eye on which cards are 'assigned' to them, this wouldn't work because the card would only appear on the second board. Of course, if this wasn't a problem, you could move the card into their board then when they'd finished the task/card, they would be able to move it back into the original board. This could be done with a Butler rule as well, so it would move back across when specific conditions on the card are met (like the due date is complete, or all the checklist items are complete).

The second problem - with linking 2 cards on separate boards - is that changes aren't synced across each card - so if you tick off a checklist item on the card in board B, the checklist item in board A will remain unchecked. There are ways around this with creative Butler rules, but these will take up a LOT of your Butler allocation and they might not end up being worth it in the long run.

There is also the possibility that rather than each staff member having their own board, they have their own list and each card in the list is assigned to them, so that you can see what they're doing all the time and everything is in one list and there wouldn't be the need for mirroring and linking cards. There are other ways that this can be achieved, with a linked checklist for example.

If you could go through step by step (possibly numbered) to explain exactly how you want the sequence to work, we should be able to help with Butler rules etc. unless you're going with the card mirroring PowerUp, then please let us know that too!

Esme :)

Hi Esme,

Thanks...My goal is to have one Team board but the team has their own tasks...I only want them to see their tasks...right now I have a Team board where I put lists...I assign one of my guys to a card on the list but not to another card but they can see both cards...how do I set it up where they have their own list controlled centrally by me so I can assign them things and they can update the  card appropriately?

Esme Crutchley Community Leader Apr 29, 2020

Hi @Mark_Salonius 

Unfortunately, there's currently no way to make lists within a board viewable to specific people (if only, that would be amazing!!).

If you didn't want them to see anyone else's cards, then you're right you would have to have separate boards for each person that only you and they were a part of.

So that would be a case of creating a Butler rule (if that's your thing) that when you assign a specific person to the card, it would move that card into their board (which you'd still be able to see if you're a member of that board). But then you'd have to keep an eye on your board as well as all the individual team members boards as well.

Then another rule as to when it's finished, it'll move it back into their list within the master board (your board) but you would have to set the rule to remove them as well otherwise they'd all be added to the master board. So you would be able to have them come back to your board when they were done (or another criterion you set), and the team member would no longer be able to see them.

You might be able to accomplish what you want with Unito Card Mirror, however I don't have enough experience with that to be able to tell you I'm afraid.

If you want me to go through how to set up Butler rules to move them from your master board into the individual board and then how to remove them again and move them back, let me know and I can go through it step by step with you!

Esme :)

Yes I would love to try and see if that will work

Hi Mark,

Ok, grab some snacks and a drink, get comfy and let's do this!

On your master/'assign cards to people' board - the one you're going to start on - you want a rule that will move any card assigned to someone to their own board. For this example, I'll use Luke as that's my husband and that's a lot easier for me!

So I've set up a master board that looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 19.24.53.png

Each person I want to hand tasks over to, has their own list.

But you don't want to add them to this board because otherwise they'll be able to see everything and that's not what you want. 

Here come the Custom Fields!

You might want to make a dropdown or a simple checkbox - something that you can use as a trigger. Something like 'ready to assign' or 'ready to do' or even just 'assign':

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 19.45.25.pngThen the action will be to move the card into Luke's board:

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 19.45.54.pngAnd you'll end up with a rule that looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 19.48.10.pngMake sure that everyone you want to hand off tasks to, have a similar board (child board). I've used Incoming from Esme as a list title because it's pretty self-explanatory!

Then rinse and repeat for everyone who you want to assign tasks to.

Standby for part 2!

Esme Crutchley Community Leader Apr 29, 2020

So, rather than adding Luke as a member of the card on the master board, which would have added him to the board and meant that he could see all the cards on the list, you added him to a list and then triggered an action from the list.

(Remembering that to make any of these triggers, rules and commands work, you have to be on both the boards)

So, onto part 2.

As you've moved cards into 'Incoming from Esme' and there's a pretty good possibility that there won't only be 1 list on that board, we need to focus on just that list to made it do what we want it to, without encapsulating the whole board and him losing cards that he didn't want to because they fit the criteria.

In this case I would make a list on the board called something like 'Outgoing for Esme', then the staff member would know anything in the incoming needed to be dealt with, and anything in the outgoing was done and would disappear. It might look something like this:

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 19.55.01.png

So that would get it back into your master board, and remove Luke (in case he's added himself to the card)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

868 views 15 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you