Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checklist check/uncheck all

Aaron Daugherty June 14, 2017

Because I have not found another method, I commonly use Trello checklists as collapsable ordered lists. In order to collapse a checklist, all items must be checked as completed, which changes all item text to strikethrough formatting. This is all wonderful for checklists, but makes ordered lists harder to read, meaning every item in the checklist is typically deselected for viewing and then reselected afterward.

Is it possible to add a checklist function to the checklist icon which would select or deselect all items in the checklist (depending on the selection state)? This would be immensely useful.

If this is not possible, would it be possible to create a secondary option to allow users to collapse entire checklists regardless of completion status?

9 answers

10 votes
inwardmovement September 20, 2019

Please add this basic checklist feature : check all / uncheck all

Kelly September 22, 2021

Yes -that would be so helpful

Like Merlothoof likes this
Ana Barrera
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 4, 2024

Yes Trello Pleaseeee! This would make my day to day so much easier! 

2 votes
Paul Elvidge April 12, 2023

I found this thread looking for the same answer.
I have created an automation -> button that unchecks all items in my checklist. This can be set to uncheck all checklists in a card or just a specified checklist. This works for me.

Nick Faustin July 26, 2023

Thanks heaps Paul. This works really well and is simple to do:)

2 votes
arvin mat June 15, 2018

Our team has also been looking for the same thing. Each morning we have a checklist to compelte, but it is a pain to uncheck everything every day only to check it all again. 

mniyas March 27, 2022

One suggestion till this basic feature comes:

Create a template card with your checklist.
Every morning create a card from it and you can check each item and archieve once done. Repeat everyday. :)

2 votes
Torben_trello
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 20, 2017

Right now, that it is not possible to collapse single checklists within a card. But I'll make sure to share the suggestion with our team for consideration.

arvin mat June 15, 2018

Hi Torben, has this been added by any chance? We are also in search of such a feature.

Like Shawn Becker likes this
Santiago Valero August 7, 2018

Same Here. Chech/uncheck all feature would be great! Thank you

Like # people like this
Oscar Marquez March 12, 2019

I'm also looking for this feature in confluence for test cases

Like Shawn Becker likes this
Shawn Becker August 5, 2019

Please provide a check/uncheck option for confluence task lists

Abelard April 5, 2020

I would appreciate this feature as well. 

Sascha A. November 3, 2021

Me too. We need Checklists at Confluence which uncheck itself after reloading. So every user can check repeating processes, supported by a checklist.

1 vote
Iasmini Gomes March 13, 2019

I was having the same problem. This Chrome extension solved my problem https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/confluence-cloud-uncheck/mndfdglbjiklkaadbpbndpegplbacohb/related

It's not the best solution, but...

Oscar Marquez March 13, 2019

Thank you!! it worked for me!! 

Like Iasmini Gomes likes this
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2021

Is the chrome extension still available ? I am unable to find it.

Oscar Marquez August 9, 2021

It's been a while since I stop using that extension;  no problem, I just stopped using it.  I found "box unchecker" in the chrome extension store but I have not used it. 

Like Kishan Sharma likes this
1 vote
Sharon Spruill August 7, 2017

Our staff has been looking for a way to utilize the checklists for more routine tasks.  Every Monday-Friday there's a certain list that has to be accomplished for each day and with interuptions and calls, it can be hard to refocus every 10 minutes to where you left off.  Each day has it's set list.  Each week our staff has to uncheck each item on a daily card "start over".  We tried the repeater power up and while it does create a new card that has items unchecked, it doesn't delete the old cards. So the clean up time by deleting old cards takes just as much time.  I think a select all toggle to select the check list items would save a bit more time.  We are new to trello but love it so far.  I even use it at home for taking care of an elderly parent to track medical care.  If there is an easier way to help with weekly tasks, we'd love to hear about it.  Thank you!

mniyas March 27, 2022

One suggestion till this basic feature comes:

Create a template card with your checklist.
Every morning create a card from it and you can check each item and archieve once done. Repeat everyday.

0 votes
Erica Allen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 26, 2023

You can also have a card reset all checklists when moved into a particular column.  So I have cards sent back to the to do column every day at midnight and automatically resets the checklists.  

0 votes
Sami Korhonen August 9, 2023

After six years, yes, please create checklist check/uncheck all button. Especially annoying for mobile users which cannot use browser extensions and scripting.

0 votes
Khuong Vu February 28, 2019

My solution to this problem is 2 steps: (1) set all checkboxes in the task list to "checked", (2) remove all the checkboxes marked "checked".  Please see https://www.screencast.com/t/7MTxrrRuuV7

As you can see from the screenshot, I have added an html macro to my page, and inside the macro is the code, which I will share below so you don't have to type:

<a id="addAllcbx" href="#">Add checkboxes</a>
<script type="text/javascript">
AJS.toInit(function ()
{
AJS.$('#addAllcbx').click(function()
{
$( "ul.inline-task-list" ).find( "li" ).addClass("checked");

});
});
</script>
Keylane ICT August 31, 2020

Hi Khuong Vu,

I've used your macro but the issue with that is if I refresh the page, the boxes will still be checked. 

Ryder Wishart February 17, 2022

Within the .click() function you should not use the .addClass() method, but instead .click() on the correct "checkbox" element. 

When you .click() it, it will complete the necessary server requests to actually check them off without just making them look checked off.

Ramiro Filipe Torres da Silva July 18, 2022

Hello @Ryder Wishart were you able to use this macro?
I changed this to use it with the click() like you said:

<a id="addAllcbx" href="#">Reset checkboxes</a> 
<script type="text/javascript"> AJS.toInit(function () {
AJS.$('#addAllcbx').click(function() {
$( "ul.inline-task-list" ).find( "li.checked" ).click();
});
});
</script>

But nothing happens on the page. And the developer tools are not helpful, no error message is shown.

Erica Allen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 26, 2023

You can create a custom button for checking all and/or unchecking all.  Go to Automations>Custom Buttons>Card Buttons

Click Create Button: choose your icon, name your button, and click enabled by default if you want it to show up on all your cards

Click Add Action

Select Checklists

Scroll down to the option 3rd from the bottom (at the time of this post) which says:

Check all the items in checklist checklist name on card

You can choose check or uncheck, you can select a specific checklist or you can apply the action to all the checklists on the card.

Like Alvaro Dias likes this
Alvaro Dias
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 29, 2023

Thanks a million Erica, I tried here and worked perfectly! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events