Change due date on all cards of a list

Deleted user April 29, 2020

Hi everyone!

I was wandering if it's possible to create a rule or button do move the due dates of all cards of a list at once.

I have a long backlog an quite an unpredictable job, so I have to reschedule all the due dates let's say every week considering the "leftovers" of present week. Is ther a way to efficiently move them?

I was thinking to set a custom field in a "service" card and use a button or rule but I didn't find the suitable action.

Thanks for the help!

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user May 1, 2020

Maybe I could combine the two solutions....

Have a "service list" where I move all the card of the cue once a week and then a rule that changes the due date when the the card is moved to that list, and finally move them back on the original list?

e.g.

Every saturday move all cards from "backlog" to "service"

when a card is moved to the "service" list move the card due date by "custom field value" days

Every monday at 7am move all the cards from "service" to "backlog"

Could it work? can I use a custom field value inside the rule or should I stick to a fixed number of days?

Deleted user May 25, 2020

Just to leave a feedback, the most straightforward way I tried is this one:

-on friday move the activities for next week on the "To do for the week" list from backlog and meetings lists

- On saturday at 10am move all the cards from the list backlog to "service"

- When a card is moved to the service list move the due date by 5 working days

- On saturday at 10:05 move all the cards from service to backlog

In this way I have a weekly update.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2020

Hi @[deleted] 

Welcome to the Community!

If you want to move all due dates in a list because they either haven't been done or for another reason, you can use Butler to achieve this. It's a bit fiddly, but stay with me!

Because you want the trigger to be a due date and you want it to move, the easiest way is to open Butler, click 'Due Date' on the left and create something that looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 12.44.06.png

I've set it to the 'Monday' after the card is due, so that it'll forward the due date to thesame day next week, which means they won't appear in this week, but next week. Obviously as this rule runs, things will appear in this week because they were due 2 weeks ago (if that makes sense!)

If you set it to the Sunday and then set it to the same day next week, with the following day being Monday and a new week, it might not trigger properly.

Does that make any sense whatsoever?!

Esme :)

Deleted user May 1, 2020

@Esme Crutchley thanks for the warm welcome and the answer!

Your answer makes sense, but it's not really what I'm looking for.

Probably my explanation was not so clear...

This problem affects both me and other colleagues in my office. We have very limited resources and a lot of work to do (we have a couple of months work in the cue). Our managers want us to plan out our activities as "staff" with due dates to know when they will be carried out.

Unfortunately, the work is still chaotic, and we have a lot of urgencies from production that need to be addressed or other matters that the boss asks you to insert in the workflow no matter what.

In this way the due dates of the activities cue shold be moved because we allocated time in a different mannar than expected.

Your suggestion changes the due dates after they expired, but we are asked to keep the planning updated considering the changes all the time (wich at the moment is manual on a spreadsheet, also very time consuming!).

I don't know if this makes any sense to you....

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2020

Aha, I see what you mean @[deleted].

At the moment, there isn't a way to change the due dates on cards in relation to other cards that are in progress or cards that have come in that take priority over cards already on the board. 

The other way to work it out, would be to use Cronofy - which is a life saver for me. I use Google Calendar, so I have all my cards as 'events' in my calendar. That means that when something urgent comes in, it automatically populates an event in my calendar. Meaning, that if I see an overlap in my calendar, I can move the event and the time and date of the change automatically changes in my Trello board on the card. Cronofy is also really useful because cards are usually 1 hour, but in my Google Calendar, I can change the duration, so say I know that something will only take about half an hour, I can change it in my calendar, the duration will change on my Trello. If I know that the task will take 3 hours, I can change it on my calendar and it'll show on the back of the Trello card that it's duration is 3 hours. 

If your company already has a Google Calendar - it might be worth setting one up specifically for your team and linking your Trello board to the calendar (I will say Cronofy is free for 1 board > 1 calendar, if you want unlimited boards to unlimited calendars then it's $23.88 a year). You could have a single calendar set up for your Trello board to feed into, and if that calendar/Trello board has 3 people on it, you could go into the calendar and set a custom colour per event which showed who was working on it, maybe Jenny could be yellow, Jim could be green and you could be blue. Unless you paid for the service, you wouldn't be able to have your trello feeding into your calendar with you colour, but with the free version you could sync one board to 1 calendar and change the colours of the individual events in the calendar so that you can work out timings appropriately.

@Iain Dooley can Trellinator help with this issue? Rather than Google Calendar?

Esme :)

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user May 1, 2020

Thanks a lot!

I will check out Cronofy right away! We don't use Google calendar since they opted for microsoft services but it might work either way...

At the moment they prefer to manage our work as individual activities so one board one calendar would work out!

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2020

No worries, there's a helpful guide on how to use Trello with Outlook (I don't think Cronofy works with Outlook), but this is how to get it working with Microsoft.

It won't work in exactly the same way, because I don't think it's a 2 way sync - as in, you'll be able to see events in your calendar, but won't be able to change them within the calendar, you'll have to change them in Trello and then sync the calendar (which is a royal pain!). 

But there is also a handy guide to using an Outlook Add in which might help as well?

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2020

I take it all back - Cronofy works with Outlook:

https://www.cronofy.com/calendar-connectors/trello-calendar-connector/

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user May 1, 2020

Thanks! I will try it!

@Esme Crutchley  thanks for the advice. I was not able to return to the community for a while...

I've been using the Cronofy power-up for a while and it is extremely useful, nevertheless you still need to move the activities one by one, but at least they are syncronized with the outlook calendar!

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2020

@[deleted] you can use Butler for this:

2020-05-01 at 2.19 pm.png

Deleted user May 1, 2020

@Iain Dooley thanks for the answer!

In this way I am moving the cards to another list, not their due dates, right?

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2020

I think @Iain Dooley may have added the wrong picture to this answer!

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2020

@[deleted] @Esme Crutchley Actually I had just answered a very similar question previously and when I read "move due dates of a list" I read it as moving the cards from a list so I just re-used the same one :) Oops!

However, if you're doing the type of planning where work that comes in needs to push out due dates, then it seems kind of like dependency planning.

You need to be able to shift a due date on something that got pushed back by an urgent task that came up and then have all other due dates get pushed back, so it's more like a gantt chart with dependencies right?

Placker is the best tool for this on top of Trello imho.

Like # people like this
Deleted user May 1, 2020

Thanks, I will check it!

I checked Placker, unfortunately at the moment I have to pay myself, so it's too expensive...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events