• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can you have Butler post reports as comments?

I'd like to have automated reports added as comments to a specific card. Report from project board -> project card in master board.

I thought I saw this before, but I might be crazy. And I know you can send the report as an email or post as a new card. Neither is quite what I'm after.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi 

You can for example create a board button

And associate this rule

create a report in variable "MyReport" with all cards without a due date using pattern "{Cardname}", and create a new card with title "Report card" and description "$MyReport" in list "Report"

Hey Ludo, 

Thanks for the help, but can the report be added as a comment?

Not with one rule.  Because Comment command is available only on card trigger and Report command on calendar or due date or board commands.

But with an additionnel rule, you can translate the description to a comment. For example 

when a card with a name containing "Report Card"  is added in list "Report", post comment "{carddescription}"

Or

when a card with a name containing "Report Card" is added in list "Report", find a card titled "Report" on board "masterboard", and post comment "{triggercarddescription}"
Like Josh R likes this

Bingo!

For anyone who is reading this is the future and isn't quite grokking what Ludo said, here's the workflow.

You can't go from "generate report via Calendar" straight to "post comment".

Instead:

1. Create a card containing report as the description on the project's board in a list called Reports. 
    1. For testing purposes, I used a button but any trigger should work.
  2. Create a rule for any cards created in the List "Reports. It finds a specific card on a specific board and posts the Report's description to that card as a comment. 

That does double the number of commands per report per project, but 60 still isn't very much.

Wait a sec... are we doing this the hard way? I can email the report from the 1st rule, right? I could email the card, right?

Yes, if you have a paid account. But the report will  be present in card description. You still need an additional rule to post a comment.

@ludoche you do not need an additional rule if you are using the card email address.  Emailing a card email address adds the email as a comment. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

330 views 10 22
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you