Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you have Butler post reports as comments?

Josh R January 23, 2020

I'd like to have automated reports added as comments to a specific card. Report from project board -> project card in master board.

I thought I saw this before, but I might be crazy. And I know you can send the report as an email or post as a new card. Neither is quite what I'm after.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2020

Hi 

You can for example create a board button

And associate this rule

create a report in variable "MyReport" with all cards without a due date using pattern "{Cardname}", and create a new card with title "Report card" and description "$MyReport" in list "Report"
Josh R January 24, 2020

Hey Ludo, 

Thanks for the help, but can the report be added as a comment?

Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

Not with one rule.  Because Comment command is available only on card trigger and Report command on calendar or due date or board commands.

But with an additionnel rule, you can translate the description to a comment. For example 

when a card with a name containing "Report Card"  is added in list "Report", post comment "{carddescription}"

Or

when a card with a name containing "Report Card" is added in list "Report", find a card titled "Report" on board "masterboard", and post comment "{triggercarddescription}"
Like Josh R likes this
Josh R January 24, 2020

Bingo!

For anyone who is reading this is the future and isn't quite grokking what Ludo said, here's the workflow.

You can't go from "generate report via Calendar" straight to "post comment".

Instead:

1. Create a card containing report as the description on the project's board in a list called Reports. 
    1. For testing purposes, I used a button but any trigger should work.
  2. Create a rule for any cards created in the List "Reports. It finds a specific card on a specific board and posts the Report's description to that card as a comment. 

That does double the number of commands per report per project, but 60 still isn't very much.

Josh R January 24, 2020

Wait a sec... are we doing this the hard way? I can email the report from the 1st rule, right? I could email the card, right?

Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2020

Yes, if you have a paid account. But the report will  be present in card description. You still need an additional rule to post a comment.

Beth Maxwell July 17, 2020

@ludoche you do not need an additional rule if you are using the card email address.  Emailing a card email address adds the email as a comment. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events