Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we have List Level ownership on Trello?

Jyoti Prakash May 5, 2017

If on my workflow board, each list is a step and each card is a product in the workflow, can I have the ownership of a card automatically changed when it is dragged from one List to another?

E.g. : When the architect completes the final design and moves it to production list, by default the production executive/manager should become the owner of this card.

1 answer

0 votes
Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2017

Hello, Jyoti!

Trello cannot do this by default, however Butler for Trello can make this happen! If you are not familiar with Butler, it is a 3rd party integration with Trello that gives you a plethora of new ways you can automate actions inside Trello. Visit the Butler For Trello website and give it permission to access your account (there is a free tier, don't worry!). Then add Butler to your boards - Butler acts as a "user" which means it also works on mobile. You add cards to your Butler list and the card title is the rule Butler will follow. So, creating a card with the title:

when a card is added to list "Production", remove all the members from the card, and add member @USERNAME to the card

This will take everyone off the card and add the Production Executive to the card, in that order (just put their username instead of USERNAME in the command). You can build the exact command you want on the Butler website (for example, if you want multiple people added to the card, or only want certain users removed). You can also use Butler to add/remove labels or dates, or just about any "triggered" behavior you can think of.

I hope this helps!

Jyoti Prakash May 6, 2017

Hi Devon,

Thanks for the reply. This absolutely helps.

As I sink deeper into butler, is it possible to clone a card ?

Use case : Would like to create a Template Card and keep it in a redundant list. Whenever a new order is added to the workflow, the executive just needs to drag this card to the new order list and on this trigger a fresh template card is created in the original position. Will standardise my order recording process.

Oscar Triscon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2017

You can do this, for example with a command like:

when a card named "Create New Order" is moved to list "New Orders", move it to list "Redundant", find card "Order Template", copy it to list "New Orders", and on the copy post comment "Order created on {date} by {username}"

You will soon also not need to even move a dummy card to achieve this: you will be able to add a button to your board that when clicked will perform all these actions.

Jyoti Prakash May 7, 2017

Thanks Oscar.

It indeed helped and the ease of using Butler has convinced me to upgrade my services to the silver plan. :)You mentioned about 

You mentioned about being "able to add a button". Is that an upcoming feature or is there some way I can use it now?

Additionally, I have the following 2 use cases for which I need some guidance.

1. I have to frequently move cards between different boards. I do that my clicking on the card >> "Move" >> "Board" >> "List". Is there a way I can do it by a single click ? Or even better, can these movements be automated based on certain rules occuring inside the card ?

2. I handle multiple orders at a time. Trello has been helpful in managing the workflow. However, how do I search for a customer's card instantaneously to open it when the customer has called for some query ?

Jyoti Prakash May 8, 2017

3. Also, Can I pin a card to the top of a List ?

Oscar Triscon
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2017

1. There's a Butler power-up in the works that will let you add a button to your cards to do things like this. It's currently under review and we hope to launch soon.

2. You can use the "f" keyboard shortcut and type the first few letters of the customer name. More about filtering efficiently in this article by Devon.

3. I'm afraid this is not currently supported in Trello.

Jyoti Prakash May 9, 2017

Thanks. 

Can I set up a list called "Rules" and lock it so that it is visible to team but can't be edited by anyone else ? 

Oscar Triscon
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2017

I'm afraid list locking is not available in Trello either.

Jyoti Prakash May 9, 2017

Ok.

Can I set up rules, using Butler, to move a card from one board to another based on a condition ?

Oscar Triscon
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2017

Yes, but not if it's a command card.

BTW, please, use the Butler public board (or email) for support about Butler. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events