Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can these Butler commands be optimized?

Thibault Molleman September 28, 2019

I feel like there is a better way to make these rules on my board.
Because for the first 2, it'd be just one command if I could have 'due date CHANGED' or something. instead of 'added' and 'moved'

And for the last 2: if I could have Added/removed instead of needing 2 cards.

I'm afraid these are actually feature requests, but before I submit those, figured I'd ask the community if I'm just not seeing something, causing me to have these double commands

screenshot.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2019

@Thibault Molleman 

> Because for the first 2, it'd be just one command if I could have 'due date CHANGED' or something. instead of 'added' and 'moved'

The "due date is set" trigger deals with both added and changed so the first rule you have is already redundant

And for the last 2: if I could have Added/removed instead of needing 2 cards.

I dunno, adding a label and removing a label are two different events. I'm not sure why you'd want to combine these. It's just a coincidence that you want to take the same action in both cases.

Thibault Molleman September 30, 2019

ah yeah, you're right about the first one. Disabled the other one and it still worked fine.

about the last 2:

I think it makes sense in context:

This list is all the things that are 'open'. So that include things we still need to do stuff for, AND stuff that we're just waiting for a response on.
The things we still need to activily do something with get the 'nog doen' label and thus should be up top. 

And thus the whole list should be sorted by having all the 'nog doen' cards at the top. 

with the cards with earlierst due date's up top so we know what's the oldest or should be done first. 

So once we've done whatever it was that we need to do for that card, we remove the label. Which should cause it to go lower in the list.
But if some action does need to happen on a card, it gets the label Nog Doen again and goes to the top.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2019

@Thibault Molleman Hmm in that case I think you should have 2 lists (or 3) ToDo, Doing, Done.

Then all you need to do is have one Butler command like:

When a card is moved to list "Doing" sort the list by due date

You can then just move cards in and out of the list to the left or right depending on whether it's finished or still has action required (you could just have 2 lists, or more, whatever you prefer).

If you're using lists to separate tasks by person, or some other reason, then use labels or members + filtering to serve that purpose, which frees up lists to represent the state of the task.

Thibault Molleman September 30, 2019

(we already have a done list. using a butler card button: "mark the due date as complete, remove all the members from the card, and move the card to the top of list "{monthname} {year}" ")
I was trying to avoid making too many lists tbh. But I guess it's just one more list. and it might make things more overview-able. I'll give it a shot

Thibault Molleman October 2, 2019

@Iain Dooley I guess having 'sorting rules' would be a nice extra tab for butler. Just so you say that 1 or multiple lists should at all times be sort by a certain set of rules. Right now it's just a bit annoying having to duplicate the command so many times because there should be multiple triggers (that would also fix it)

Thibault Molleman October 4, 2019

@Iain Dooley  can you set one Butler command to trigger on a certain event on multiple lists at once?

so like:

when  the any any label is  added to removed from added to a card in list "Nog doen" OR LIST "wachten" 

Or do I have to make two commands for that?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events