Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I prevent a modification to a card created from a template from modifying the card template?

cpmoreau April 7, 2020

I've have created a "Search" card template, which contains several custom fields. When I delete one of the custom fields from a card created using the "Search" template, the same custom field is deleted from my "Search" card template, and all other cards created using this template.

I see the benefit in modifications to the card template being propagated to cards that were created using the template, but is there a way to prevent propagating changes from cards created from a template back to the template and cards created from the same template?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2020

@cpmoreau custom fields are set up at the board level. Changes to custom field *values* do not update any other cards, but changes to the custom field *structure* will update everything on the board.

cpmoreau April 8, 2020

If I'm understand the implication correctly, I can have multiple card templates, but they will all have the same custom fields. 

cpmoreau April 8, 2020

Is there a way to have custom fields at the card level?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2020

@cpmoreau nope they're board level, if you want different custom fields on a per card basis you have to have them in different boards, however just be aware that if you move the cards between those boards the custom fields will get mashed together.

Mark Sowerbutts May 19, 2020

This is the exact issue I'm having ... once a card is moved from one board in a workflow to another one, the TEMPLATE card in the next-in-sequence BOARD updates with the previous BOARDS template fields ... no onc has found a way around this yet?  Would be nice to "Lock' a TEMPLATE - feature request!

Like Krisanan Lertanantawong likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events