• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I monitor the progress of 10 projects completion in 10 "parent" cards when their child is done?

I want to have 10 "parent" cards which subsequently each will have a checklist (or several checklists) - checklist items will be converted to cards, those cards will be worked on - is it possible that when a card is "Done" or in the Done column, it would be converted into a Completed checklist item in the orginal card's checklist? 

Because when you 'promote' a checklist item into a card, I haven't seen a way to convert it back into a checklist item. 

1 answer

thanks Iain. However: that solution requires me to have  a specific button for specific subtasks (checklists named Subtasks). 

I can't name all checklists in all cards in all projects "Subtasks" - what if a card has 3, or 6 checklists in it? Do I need to have Subtasks 1-Subtasks 6, 6 buttons each card, even if in that card I have just 3 checklists? 

That limits the ability to logically name checklists. 

Is there a way to that even manually, by converting the card from a checklist item? Is there a way to link the card to a checklist item? Because the moment it gets converted manually, it disappears forever from the list of items in that checklists

Iain Dooley Community Leader Apr 26, 2020

@Alexander Sverdlov it’s pretty flexible, for example you could trigger the command when a checklist item is completed and convert the completed item to a linked card 

Yes, but your solution suggests that I can only use a certain name for a checklist. Actually in the options for checklists and buttons I only see an option to use certain names for checklists.

Can I use * for ANY checklist?

Essentially what I want to achieve is simple: 

1. Any item in any checklist, when converted to a card, when that card is Done, the checklist item it was converted from, also gets marked as done. 

BUT

As soon as you manually convert a checklist item into a card, it disappears! If I want to do it manually, I have to recreate it to mark it as done. 

If I want to do it automatically, I must use the same checklist name, which defies the purpose of logic and organization. Who uses the same checklist name in all cards?

Iain Dooley Community Leader Apr 27, 2020

@Alexander Sverdlov Yep you can use {*} to match anything in the names of items etc. and then those are available in the actions as variables {wildcard1}, {wildcard2} and so on.

But in this case you'd be better off triggering when an item is added to any checklist and convert the item to a linked card:

2020-04-27 at 6.24 pm.pngThen the second half of what you want is when the card is archived the item on the linked card is archived (demonstrated in my article above).

You might also want to put some filters onto the trigger condition, for example you could only run this command when items are added to a checklist on a card with the "Subtaskable" label or something.

Capture2.PNGBut I don't have the triggers you mentioned. The only similar one is the last one, but it only has the "Text contains / does not contain" rules as a start. Should I be looking somewhere else?

Iain Dooley Community Leader Apr 27, 2020

@Alexander Sverdlov you can hover over those little white bits to get more options:

2020-04-27 at 6.55 pm.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

776 views 13 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you