Can I give people view-access with a "private" link?

Bawdy Ink Slinger September 1, 2019

Here's my situation: I'd like to give a group of people a link, and with that link, they can view (but not edit) my trello board.  But, I don't want that link to be public to the world.

Here's the context: I own a patreon account, and I'd like to make it a pledge reward that if you support my financially, you can get a link to my trello board to see what I'm working on and what I'm planning in the future.  It would defeat the purpose of this reward if anyone could just google for it and find it. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2019

@Bawdy Ink Slinger there's no "visible to people with the link" in the same way dropbox or google drive does it with a super long link that people can't guess. It's public or private, and you'll need to invite people either as Observers or to a team and then make the board team visible.

1 vote
David P_ Hicks September 1, 2019

Greetings @Bawdy Ink Slinger 

If I am not wrong you want to share your private board with specific members with only view access. 

If you want to implement this on your board then you need to invite the member as "Observer" 

The Observer has only read/view access no and editing access. 

To do that follow the steps: 

• Click Add Members located at Members section.
  • Enter the email address.
  • Check the box that says "Include this member a view-only observer?".
  • and Click Send.

observer trello.png

Note: The thing you are trying to implement can be achived if you have Trello Bussiness Class.

Bawdy Ink Slinger September 1, 2019

Well, I don't have their email address, and it would be a lot of additional work for me to request it then do these steps.  I'd rather work passively; Can I get a link that adds anyone as an observer when they click on it?

David P_ Hicks September 2, 2019

Well,  If you don't want to do that by yourself manually. I suggest you to create an application by utilizing the Patreon api and trello API. 

If you don't prefer coding app then you might want to look at the Zapier. Which can integrate both patreon and trello without any coding.

Patreon api trello.jpg

Bawdy Ink Slinger September 2, 2019

That looks promising.  I only found "Add Members to Card," and nothing similar to "Add to Team," or "Add as Observer."  Does this mean I would need to create one of these rules for each card of mine, or is there a better way?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events