It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I create Butler rules off of Package Tracker data?

The Package Tracker Power-Up is very interesting to me but I'm just barely getting started with Trello and the Trello API.

I'm really like what I can do with Butler but it's looking like Butler can't access the data in the Package Tracker box. I want to use Butler to automatically move the cards as a package's status changes.

I'm also currently looking in to using the REST API to get data from the Package Tracker component and shove it into Custom Fields so that I can use those fields to trigger Butler.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

2 answers

0 votes
Katrin Anger Community Leader Jul 03, 2019

@Chris Parker 

Hi Chris, I doubt that Butler is able to access data from the Package Tracker Power-Up.

The only workaround I can think of is using the Custom Fields Power-Up as an intermediary to store that data. Butler can access custom fields, so maybe there is a workaround hiding for you in there.

Any idea how to get the data off of the card through the API? It doesn't appear to be present when retrieving a card.

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Jul 04, 2019

@Chris Parker the information stored by a given powerup for a given card is retrived by setting the pluginData attribute to true:

https://developers.trello.com/reference/#cardsid

or using the pluginData endpoint:

https://developers.trello.com/reference/#cardsidplugindata

I ended up just working with Shippo directly. I had already started working on a project last year that ended up abandoned due to time constraints. But then I saw Package Tracker and Butler and thought it would be a shortcut to accomplishing my goal but the Trello API turned out to be very cumbersome. (Trello is a perfect use case for GraphQL.)

Anyway, I decided to go back to my old project and finish it up.

Still looking forward to getting some internal processes documented and tracked in Trello with Butler. That is an awesome power up.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,616 views 15 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you