It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I copy a board or board template and have it include the card members?

We have a board template that we use for each product we develop.  Each card is assigned to the same people each time.  However, if I try to copy an old board or make a copy from our template, the members of the cards do not copy over.  That means I have to add members to every card every time I copy the board.  This seems crazy and there must be a workaround?

Thanks for your help.

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Feb 25, 2020

@Nathan Ross the problem is that when you copy a board, it doesn't retain the members.

If you set up your template board so that it has all the members you want, then label each card with the members' username, then this Trellinator function would copy the board, retain the board members and then loop through all cards, adding members to the correct cards where the cards contained a label that was a username of a board member, removing said label in the process and ignoring any other labels that weren't usernames:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/77fa9c7bcbdd1ac09bb6adf3d41b4c07

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Thanks lain_Dooley.  I think this might be above my skill set to implement, but looks interesting.  Seems like a big workaround for something that seems so basic of a need.  Is what I'm trying to accomplish really that unique that many people wouldn't also need this function?  Seems weird.  Thanks again.

Evie Sams I'm New Here May 08, 2020

I've been looking everywhere for this feature. It doesn't make sense that a card template has the ability to retain members but a board template does not? I would love to see this implemented without the need for additional steps.

You might try out Placker to copy/mirror/move the board, it will keep all the info you had on the original card.

Thanks RenoT.  I'll take a look at this.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,550 views 13 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you