Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Butler create a link when a label is applied to the card?

Jim Reynolds March 6, 2021

We have a board tracking many bugs & features we are working on. We assign a version to the cards, so we know when they will be ready to publish to production. 

I would like a master card named "Features in vXXXX" (for example, "Features in v2.1.1") that contains a checklist with a link to each card in that version. For example. if I apply the green label "v2.1.1" to a card, I would like Butler to respond by adding a link to my card in a checklist residing the card that is named "Features in v2.1.1". 

Is that possible, or is something similar possible? 

I can obviously save a search for "v2.1.1" but I never get a list that way.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2021

Hey Jim,

You should be able to set this up, provided the formatting of the label is consistent. You'll need to make use of some Variables as well, which will let that rule work a bit more dynamically: https://help.trello.com/article/1157-variables

The first step is to set your rule's trigger to "when any label is added to a card". Note that you can select a specific label instead, but that would mean you'd need to create a rule to cover each version/label.

The "any label" condition will trigger for any label, so if you have others that aren't a version number that are added, it might be more ideal to use a custom field instead. I'll assume for this example that labels are only used for the version.

Following the trigger, you'll want Butler to find the related card by name. In the Cascade section, you can use the "find card with name action" and you would enter Features in {labelname}.

That variable would return the name of the label, so if it was named "v2.1.1", Butler would look for a card named "Features in v2.1.1.".

So now, Butler has found the appropriate card.

From there, the last action would be to add the original card as a link in the checklist. To do so, a checklist would need to already exist on the card, and you'd use the "add item name to checklist name" action. For the name, you wouldn't use the actual card name, since you want a link. Instead you would use the {triggercardlink} variable, which would return the URL of the card which triggered your rule in the first place.

After that, you can save the rule and you'd be all set. Hopefully that helps you get that going!

Jim Reynolds March 11, 2021

Excellent, thx.  I had worked my way through to several of those steps but the variables will be a big help. I was doing it manually each time. 

Like Garrett likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events