Can Butler be used to add attachment names to attachments?

Jason_Piper May 21, 2020

I am in the process of creating recurring cards for a team I'm working with that need links to external sites present on them. Butler seems to be able to create the cards I need accurately with the exception of the attachment URL's which are generated OK from the board rules, but I can't seem to find a way to include {attachmentname} (i.e. the text name associated with the URL) in the command, so I just get a bunch of (very similar looking) URL's without any information to guide users to their respective destinations. These can be manually renamed afterwards, but that would, of course defeat the point of using automation.

I've tried Calendar and Card Button triggers as alternatives to Rules but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an option to either create the attachment links with a link name or rename them retrospectively with a subsequent command.

Link Attachement.JPGAny help I could get would be most appreciated as it'd mean not having to manually re-name 3 links every week! 

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2020

@Jason_Piper it doesn't look like Butler can name attachments anymore like Butler Bot used to be able to do, in addition to your workaround you could so add the links to the description of the card using markdown like [Link Text](urlgoeshere).

You can also use the API directly, this Trellinator snippet shows how to add attachments with a name:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/9c74f91cb59c4d42ce54ed792dddd184

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Jason_Piper May 26, 2020

Thanks so much @Iain Dooley I suspected that this might be the case, but glad to hear it from someone with more knowledge! The markdown option is an elegant solution - I'll give that a go. Really helpful! Thanks again!

Like Iain Dooley likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason_Piper May 22, 2020

Not a direct answer to my query but a possible workaround for anyone struggling to use attachments to highlight hyperlinks your card might need - If you can't specify the {attachmentname} variable when setting up your command, you can use Custom Fields as a workaround. For my example, I simply created 3 custom fields for my board, set them to not visible on the front of the card and then used Butler to populate those fields with the desired URL's when the card is created. Probably not the most elegant solution overall, but allows the functionality I was looking for nonetheless.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events