Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calendar Sync issue

Aswin Vogel August 27, 2020

Hi,

I am finding this really frustrating. I just need my trello calendar to sync with my google calendar. I did the whole calendar power up.

I don't want to use cronofy, it just doesn't work the way I want it to. There are still sync issues with it.

I've got the link in google calendar, I've done the whole icalendar feed link sync up and I can see that google has registered that the trello calendar is there, but whenever I add a due date to the board that has the calendar set up on, I don't get the event being created in google??

Please help with this it is very frustrating

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2020

@Aswin Vogel the sync is periodic, it's not immediate.

Can I ask what you're using this for? There might be a better solution that presents the information you need in a more realtime fashion.

Thanks for your reply Iain, I appreciate it.

Do you know what the period of time is for syncing? It seems quite long? For example I added a due date to an item in trello about 2 hours ago and I still cannot see it in my google calendar.

What I'm using this for is to keep track of everything that I need to do for my job. I have a lot of calls with people to discuss many different things so I want to use trello to keep track of these conversations, what their requests are and what the topics are in detail, and to use the calendar to know when I have calls or deadlines coming up and how long I have to prepare for them. I need to know in advance when a due date is happening so that I can 1. remember to take the call if it's a call, and 2. prepare for the call or the deliverable as it arrises.

I thought of just using my google calendar to keep track of this, but the kanban layout in trello helps me to be organised with the many different and detailed pieces of information I am dealing with.

Thanks for your help

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2020

@Aswin Vogel I think it's basically "whenever Google feels like refreshing the calendar feed".

Is there a reason you want to view this inside Google Calendar, rather than viewing inside Trello's calendar view? You turn on the calendar power up then you can see all your cards that have due dates in a calendar format, sounds like you could just use that instead of synching to Google Calendar.

I need it to be in Google Calendar because in terms of dates and times, my life and everything I do is fully organised in Google Calendar.

For instance if I get a call or event invitation from a colleague, it gets updated immediately in my google calendar, not in the trello calendar obviously. 

A lot of the way I work revolves around dates and times and the google calendar syncs and automates this very well. Trello due date syncing seems to be the only hold up.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2020

@Aswin Vogel if you organise your day around your calendar already (for example automated events created in Google Calendar when someone invites you and so on) then it seems as though creating events in your calendar based on Trello cards is the opposite of what you need. It seems that what you would really need instead would be the creation of Trello cards based on events going into your calendar. 

Yes that would be great!

I just need the two to talk together quickly. Wether its google calendar going in to trello or trello going in to google calendar, it doesn't matter to me, they just need to sync fast.

Is that possible?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2020

@Aswin Vogel it looks like you can trigger in Zapier when a new calendar event is created:

https://zapier.com/blog/updates/703/google-calendar-integrations

So then you could use that trigger to create a Trello card with the specified due date, maybe even with a link to the event in the card attachments so you can easily get back to that event. Then in Trello you can use the Calendar power up to see all the cards you have coming up, and maybe create preparation tasks based on those due dates.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events