Butler to move cards between boards

Jason Fedelem January 8, 2019

I'm not sure if this is where to get Butler support now that Atlassian has bought them.  Please move this to the appropriate forum if need be.

I need to get Butler to execute the following rule:

when a card is added to list "Blah", move the card to list "Blerg" on board "Bloog".

I've done this before successfully.  In fact, I double checked my work both by copying my rule from the other board and modifying list/board names, and also by using the Butler command builder.  The result is get back is:

I can't find a board called "Bloog". Is the board name spelled correctly?

I have checked and double checked, including renaming the target board to be one word and making sure there were no spaces or special characters.  Its not a spelling issue.  Both boards are part of the same business team. 

Any thoughts?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2019

@Jason Fedelem Butler needs to be a member of each board (or, if you're not using the Bot, presumably you need to have the power up enabled on each board that it's targeting).

Jason Fedelem January 15, 2019

Thanks Iain... My mistake was that one of the boards involved was a new board and I had not added Butler to it yet.  Thanks for reminding me.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2019

@Jason Fedelem Cool, if you get Butler to create the board you won't need to add it in, it will already be there. One way of doing this is to have a board with a list for each "type" of board (eg. projects, reference material, team member) then when you want to create a new board, create a card in one of those lists.

Butler then finds the template with the same name as the list, creates a board and links it back to the card.

This "board of boards" approach also allows you to keep some meta information about the board that isn't visible to the members of the board, useful in the case that you want to share your project boards with clients.

Jason Fedelem January 17, 2019

Awesome, thanks!

0 votes
Jason Fedelem January 9, 2019

We have decided to move to Jira, so the answer to this questions won't be helpful to us.  It may helpful to answer this question for anyone else who stumbles on this post.

Cam October 14, 2019

Helpful for me, thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events