I'm new to Butler, trying to use it on a work board with two initial use cases:
(1) Create a board button for filtering by label - articles suggest community seems to want this but that it's definitely not available, right?
(2) Create a board button to Sort ALL lists by a custom field value; seems to only be possible by specific list (column)? e.g. if I had a custom field 'Release' and 5 columns, I'd need 5 x board buttons to sort them all by 'Release'??
1) You are correct, this is not possible. My guess as to why is that filtering is not actually DONE to a board—only the person filtering sees the board that way. Butler DOES things to the board, if that makes sense. Sorting lists, moving things, adding comments, etc. are all things everyone sees, but filtering isn't. If it helps, you can very quickly filter a board by typing F (keyboard shortcut for filtering) and then clicking the label in the sidebar that pops up. I know it's an extra step, but it's still very fast! You can also bookmark the URL for the filtered board, which will look something like this:
Then you have it available at one click :)
2) Sadly this is also not possible. I would send an email to email@example.com as I, at least, think this is a great feature to add to Butler!
I'm sorry I didn't have better answers for you, but I hope that regarding #1 the tips I listed help in some way, and that you reach out to Trello to suggest #2 - it's a great feature to have.
Thank you Devon, the keyboard shortcut for getting to the filter-by-labels is useful right away :)
Yes I see what you mean about Butler doing stuff rather than just displaying things temporarily - and for everybody, too.
Re (2) I think the answer below has at least explained how all the lists in a board can be filtered via one button, so it looks like we are good on this front.
1. When you say filtering, do you mean keeping cards with a certain label and archiving the rest?
2. A board button (and all other commands) can do more than one action. So you don't need one board button for each list. You can create a single board button that will sort all of the lists you need.
Hi Jireh, not archiving, just hiding from view. So if i have 100 cards and 10 have a yellow label, I'd like a 'Filter on Yellow' button so I can isolate those 10 cards at the touch of one (custom) button. I do this a lot, e.g. when using labels to indicate what team a task is assigned to.
Thanks for the board button assistance, that does work, I still think a 'select all' or 'apply to all lists' option would be great :)
If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event