Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler - the first two things I want to do appear to be unsupported

Simon Rigler October 28, 2019

I'm new to Butler, trying to use it on a work board with two initial use cases:

(1) Create a board button for filtering by label - articles suggest community seems to want this but that it's definitely not available, right?

(2) Create a board button to Sort ALL lists by a custom field value; seems to only be possible by specific list (column)? e.g. if I had a custom field 'Release' and 5 columns, I'd need 5 x board buttons to sort them all by 'Release'??

Cheers :)

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jireh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2019

Hi Simon,

1. When you say filtering, do you mean keeping cards with a certain label and archiving the rest?

2. A board button (and all other commands) can do more than one action. So you don't need one board button for each list. You can create a single board button that will sort all of the lists you need.

Simon Rigler October 29, 2019

Hi Jireh, not archiving, just hiding from view. So if i have 100 cards and 10 have a yellow label, I'd like a 'Filter on Yellow' button so I can isolate those 10 cards at the touch of one (custom) button. I do this a lot, e.g. when using labels to indicate what team a task is assigned to.

Thanks for the board button assistance, that does work, I still think a 'select all' or 'apply to all lists' option would be great :)

0 votes
Answer accepted
Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2019

Hi Simon!

1) You are correct, this is not possible. My guess as to why is that filtering is not actually DONE to a board—only the person filtering sees the board that way. Butler DOES things to the board, if that makes sense. Sorting lists, moving things, adding comments, etc. are all things everyone sees, but filtering isn't. If it helps, you can very quickly filter a board by typing F (keyboard shortcut for filtering) and then clicking the label in the sidebar that pops up. I know it's an extra step, but it's still very fast! You can also bookmark the URL for the filtered board, which will look something like this:

https://trello.com/b/xxxxx/board-name?menu=filter&filter=label:LABELNAME 

Then you have it available at one click :)

2) Sadly this is also not possible. I would send an email to feature-ideas@trello.com as I, at least, think this is a great feature to add to Butler! 

I'm sorry I didn't have better answers for you, but I hope that regarding #1 the tips I listed help in some way, and that you reach out to Trello to suggest #2 - it's a great feature to have.

Simon Rigler October 28, 2019

Thank you Devon, the keyboard shortcut for getting to the filter-by-labels is useful right away :)

Yes I see what you mean about Butler doing stuff rather than just displaying things temporarily - and for everybody, too.

Re (2) I think the answer below has at least explained how all the lists in a board can be filtered via one button, so it looks like we are good on this front.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events