Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler rule: When ... by anyone except Butler

Alexander B. May 25, 2021

Hi,

I am syncing some informations between 2 boards with Butler.
Unfortunately my rules have some problems.

The biggest one is that I can not find an option to run the rule only if the trigger was not triggered by Butler itself.

There is an option "by anyone except @" but I would need "by anyone except Butler".
Is this possible somehow?

The problem is when I have for example this rule on both boards:

when someone is added to a card,
find the first card linked in the attachments,
and add member @{addedusername} to the card

When I add someone to a card on board A, Butler runs the rule and adds him on board B as well.
So far so goof.

But then the rule runs again because the trigger

when someone is added to a card

was triggered by the action Butler performed in the first run of the rule.

This is stupid and doubles my quota usage (and probably the runtime too).

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks & best regards
Alexander

1 answer

1 vote
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2021

Hi Alexander! From what I understand, the "performer" of Butler actions would be the person who created the rule. An idea would be to create a Trello account called "Butler Sync Bot" and create all your butler rules with that user. When setting the trigger, you can say "when a member is added to a card by anyone except "Butler Sync Bot"." I've never tested this out, but I would assume it should do what you want! 

Alexander B. May 26, 2021

But that would mean 1 more user to pay for for the Business Class.

If there is no other solution I will probably have to do that though.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

That's true. Another alternative would be to use a power-up that offers true mirroring like Unito

Alexander B. May 27, 2021

Well. As this is even more expensive I will go with the additional user for now. 😉

Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2021

Might be a good call if you're just looking to mirror the member. I'd recommend creating a secondary rule to remove the member as well if the card gets re-assigned (if you want that).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events