cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler - how to set a label based on a variable

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2021

Hi there! I'm wanting to create a rule that looks something like this:

"When custom dropdown is set, apply the label {customfieldvalue}."

So, let's say the custom field is set to "DOG", it should apply the "DOG" label.

If the label exists, it should apply the pre-existing label. If the label does not exist, it should create a new one. 

Is it possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2021

@Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows 

Possible if you use custom labels using one colour and it creates one if the name does not exist.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2021

Thanks @milynnus for the reply. I can't seem to add a variable into the label action, I only see the option to select an existing label 🤔 what am I missing?Screenshot_20210629-220024_Chrome.jpg

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2021

Choose any invisible custom label(aka with a name) Then replace the name with your cf value

If I recall, Trello will find a matching name and use the colour. 

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2021

Or temporary create a custom label for the colour of your choice. Then replace the name 

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2021

Sorry if I'm not understanding your answer, but would that mean I'd have to create a different rule for each cf value? I currently have a label already created for each cf value, but I want to avoid having to create a separate rule for each cf value. The goal is to just have one rule and I don't have to create a new rule and a new label everytime a new cf value is created, so ideally if would just say "when cf is set, add label with cf value".

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2021

Watch the video

https://www.loom.com/share/2dbed447ede24738b8f43081e5292266

If there is a CF with no corresponding label and invisible label with the name will be created.

That is why if you want a coloured label instead of an invisible one that use a temporary custom label (ie with a name) of the colour of your choice and replace the temporary name with {customfieldvalue}

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2021

@milynnus thanks so much for taking the time to record the video! I finally managed to get it working as expected. The part that I was getting hung up on was that I actually had to create a label called "{customfieldvalue}". Thank you again!Screenshot 2021-06-30 172622.png

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2021

Hmm that result is different from what I had experienced. What is got was an invisible label with name equal to to {customfieldvalue}  

Martin Durrant September 28, 2022

How can we delete these 'invisible' labels.  It seems once they are set they can not be removed?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events