Butler adding checklists to cards

K Walters April 29, 2021

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help.  I have Butler commands where it creates a new card with a particular checklist.  E.g.  create new card with checklist 'planning'.

Question;

How do I make changes to the overall checklist and saves these changes? I ideally want that Butler will take the latest saved version of this checklist each time the command is run to create the new card with 'x' checklist.

Or Is it the case that Butler will only the add the checklist as it was on the date that the command was set up?

Thanks.

K

1 answer

0 votes
Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2021

Hi K,

It sounds like you'll just need to create a template checklist on a card somewhere, then link to that in your Butler command.

The first step is to create a card that will hold the template checklist. Ideally that would be somewhere out of the way where it wouldn't be edited often, like a Templates list.

Once you have the card created and the checklist set up, copy the link to the card—we'll need that for Butler.

Next, open Butler and edit your command you currently have created. Remove the current action that adds the checklist, so we can add it again, but in a different way.

When setting up the "Add checklist" action, add the name of the checklist and then, you'll see a bullseye icon that you can open. Select that and paste the card link in there, which tells Butler to use the checklist from that card.

Now you're telling Butler, use the template checklist from this card and add it. After that, you'll just need to add the action to your rule and save.

Let me know if that helps!

K Walters May 5, 2021

@Garrett Thanks for responding.

I actually since found a post in the forum that suggests that checklists can be edited or deleted:  Solved: How do I delete a Checklist? (atlassian.com)

The screenshots shown in that post, showing where to edit checklists, I cannot seem to find this in my Trello account (e.g. Program room).  If you can direct me to where to find this, this will solve my problem, as I can simply update the checklists there instead of creating a card with template checklists.

Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2021

Hey @K Walters 

Sorry I didn't get back to you way sooner, I missed the notification. Hm, looking at the screenshots in the other post, that's Jira Align rather than Trello.

For Trello, checklists can be edited and deleted quite easily: https://help.trello.com/article/737-adding-checklists-to-cards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events