Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler action attach cards with labels

Deleted user July 28, 2020

I have a list of project cards that are labeled.  When I add cards to the to do list and I label them for a certain project I would like for the cards that are associated with the project to be attached to the project. 

I would like to know if there is a way to have Butler attach cards in to do to project cards?  If I were to write this out as a Butler rule I would want it to do the following:

When a card is added to the board by me with a green label, attach the card to project 1, and move the cart to the top of list "To Do Future"

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2020

I think I got very confused by the terminology.. tell me if I got this right..

Everything is happening on a single board. You have a bunch of Project Cards on this board. You have a bunch of Task Cards that are associated with each project via label, that when they are added to the list "To Do", they are added as an attachment in the Project cards and moved to "To Do Future" instead.

If that is the case: When a card with a green label is moved in to list "To Do" by me, Move the card to the top of list "To Do Future", Find card with link "trello.com/c/projectcardurlhere", Add link "{triggercardlink}"

For each project/label pair, you'd need a separate Rule, changing the label and the hardcoded project card link. The latter you can find by clicking Share on the project cards. Labels are pretty inflexible in Butler, which is why you need multiple rules to achieve this sadly.

Also, attachments take up a lot of screen space in the card view, so your project cards might start getting cluttered real quick. An alternative is to make a checklist called "To Do Future" in the project cards, and have the rule Add item "{triggercardlink}" to checklist "To Do Future" instead, which will give you a less obtrusive link.

Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2020

Huh.. just discovered the {labelname} variable works with triggers that filter by label color... Haven't played around with it much, but it should allow you to consolidate the multiple rules in to one...

One way would be to have all project labels be a single color, while also having a colored label with no text for triggering purposes. The rule would trigger for every single label of that color, then Find card with name starting with "{labelname}", or some similar trick to find the project card.

0 votes
Deleted user July 30, 2020

I wound up using the checklist to linked card command.  It seems to be working well for my purpose.  I appreciate your posting this answer it made me look at other ways of achieving what I wanted.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events