Butler Move Rules aren't firing

Bryan Raptor January 24, 2020

Hello.  I have a Business Class account, and numerous lists within a board.  Each card has 10 checklists on it.

My idea is that when a particular checklist is marked as done, the card gets moved to the next list so the next team member can begin their work.  However, none of the move rules are firing.  Other types of rules are, so Butler itself is working on the board.

Here's an example rule.  I have a checklist titled "Create First Draft" in a list "Draft".  I want it to move to list "Editing" when the checklist is complete.

when checklist "Create First Draft" is completed in a card in list "Draft", move the card to the bottom of list "Editing" 

This will not fire.  The rule is Enabled on this board.  Is there some issue with multiple checklists on a card not working with Butler? Is the name of the checklist not the one I write in the text box?  I feel like I'm missing something simple but I can't seem to figure out what it is so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Here's a screenshot of the checklist in the example.

trello checklist screenshot.png

1 answer

0 votes
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

Hi

First, when you have an issue with butler, check usage log (from butler panel, select account)

Then, probably your rule is not triggered because of some conditions are not respected.

For example, if checklist is completed before you add the card in the list Draft, you must use this command :

when a card with completed checklist "Create first Draft" is added in the list Draft, move the card to the list Editing.

Or, maybe you can remove some optional conditions, like listname in the trigger.

Note: if you use static names in a rule, you must duplicate the rule for each  list.

While if you use appropriate checklist et listnames and integrate variables in butler, you can cover all lists with an unique rule

For example 

If the name of completed checklist corresponds to the name of the next list.

You can use a rule like this

when checklist "{*}" is completed in a card, move the card to the top of list "{wildcard1}"

https://help.trello.com/article/1156-pattern-matching-and-wildcards

Bryan Raptor January 27, 2020

Thanks Ludo.  I'll try renaming the checklists to the name of the next list.  Hopefully that'll work.  I have renamed the checklists a few times now (and then deleted/created new rules to correspond to the new names) but it seems simpler with wildcards once it's working.

I did check the logs to see if I could find anything - I have some other rules that show up as being executed but none of the checklist completed ones are firing.  I have another rule that assigns a member when the card gets moved to the "Editing" list, and that is executed flawlessly.  The card is initially put into the list "Draft" by me manually, with no checklist items completed so it seems like all the conditions are being met.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events