Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Butler: Change custom field on all cards matching criteria

Is it possible to make a butler command that changes custom fields on all cards that match an existing custom field value.

So like:

All cards where custom field "Plaatslocatie" is "Werkplaats.A.4.V", change "Plaatslocatie" to "Werkplaats.A.4.A"

is what I would like to do. But doesn't seem to be possible without adding them all as checklist items first and then cascading trough those?

2 answers

I had a similar problem and got around it by creating a dummy list called "modify_cards" and the  rule

when a card is moved into list "modify_cards" with custom field "Name" set
to "X", set custom field "Name" to "Y"

Then I used "move all cards" to move all cards from each list to the modify_cards list and back again. Remember to disable any rules triggered by card moves during this operation!

0 votes
Garrett Atlassian Team Jan 26, 2021

Hi Thibault,

Right now a command like this is not possible. The only way to change a custom field is in the context of a card itself. Butler doesn't support bulk actions that can look at or manipulate every card on a board.

You could try a workaround by using a list of cards as checklist items, but please note there are action limits per command. If you have a lot of cards on the board, and thus, in a checklist, it may not be able to iterate through each of those.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events