Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Butler Automation - Rule not allowing copied into board

Hi All,

I've been trying to work out a way we can get our trello card numbers used in our reporting and searching for when we work on tasks.

Currently each card is a support ticket so we have been using the Card number as the ticket reference.

I've created a custom field called UID with a rule that states "When a card is created in the board" Update the UID field with "MFCS-{cardnumber}".
It then proceeds to update the card name with the following "[#MFCS-{cardnumber}] {cardname}".

However I've just noticed that this doesn't work when we create from template cards, because it is a copy command not a create command. We use templates with labels and checklists so having to do that manually would set all my efforts to make things efficient backwards a couple of years.

I can't use the trigger "When a card is added to this board" because we need to move cards between boards. I don't want it to trigger on a move as the UID needs to be unique and user friendly to read which is why I don't use {cardid}.

I only want this rule to trigger when a new card is created or copied in any of the lists.

From what I can see in the trigger the only options I have board wide is the following;

- Added to

- Created in

- Emailed into

- Moved into

- Moved out of

There is no copied into. There is a copied into in the trigger for lists just not the board option.

Is this an oversight or is there something I'm missing and not seeing to fix this issue.

Any advise or and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

@Matthew 

It is worth noting that ""Added" means created, copied, moved into the board or emailed into the board." This is documented on the rules setup.

I might not have understood your problem fully. I would have thought that using a card button on the template card itself and renaming it would achieve what you wanted. Handling CF would be a bit more cumbersome but doable. Labels, Checklist and Members will have to be specified and added to new card action. You can point the checklists to template card. What am I missing?

Thank you for replying @milynnus 

I was using the "Added" because it included them but the issue is I can't use it because it also triggers on move which I do not want it to.

So I just wanted it to happen on created in and copied into and not moved into.

The reason I can't use the moved into is because if I move it from another board to this one the UID field will update to a new card number which is what I want to avoid.

I want to use a Unique ID across boards so that we can use it for reporting and referencing when searching the boards for a particular card.

@milynnus 

See below screenshot of what we do to create from template. This is one of the default options within Trello without using Butler.

The hard part is some of the people I need to convince for this will not change their processes.

trello_image.png

@Matthew 

Are you saying that you cannot rename the card?

Watch this https://www.loom.com/share/7eaf7326c726487a93ccb78ae8796b73 and does not matter where you use the template card. The small little change is to add an invisible label and use that to detect that you wanted to rename that card.

I simulated with the purple label.

when a card with the purple label is copied into list "{*}", rename the card to "ABC {triggercardnumber} {triggercardname}"

@milynnus 

No that is not what I am saying.

What my original post showed is that when I created a butler automation rule I wanted it to only apply to when you create a card in the board or when you copy a card into the board.

I do not want it to trigger when you move a card into the board.

I am trying to find out if this is possible without having to create individual rules for every list on the boards.

Before you say it no I can not use the added to board option because that includes the move into function which I do not want happening.

Just for clarity Attached a two screenshots of what I am reffering to. The second image is showing what seems to be missing from the first trigger for the entire board.

I would rather create two rules for Created and Copied and not 15 x2 for each lists.

trello_triggers.pngtrello_triggers2.png

@Matthew 

If it is a new feature you need to ask Trello

Having said that ...this is my final take

https://www.loom.com/share/964d7625c8e147ccb2e6c6a0bee2ce00

Thank you @milynnus 

That is what I would like to occur, did you use different rule triggers for that test?

@Matthew 

Like I said if it is a new feature you need to request for it.

What I did was with Automation. 2 rules for this.

@milynnusThank you,

Would you be able to provide the exact rules you used to have this happen?

@Matthew 

Not at my desk. From source board add invisible flag at trigger to move out of board. At destination trigger with case without flag set when card is added. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: New years' resolutions with Trello

Congratulations to @Laura Holton , our latest winner of Taco Tuesday! And thanks to @Kristján Geir Mathiesen for sharing the picture of Taco having fun with his new friend  B...

2,304 views 28 40
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you