Butler/Automation: How to sort cards by label color?

Torsten Berger March 10, 2022

We use labels, but we don't have just one with one color. So e.g. we have monthly meetings to talk about projects. For that meeting is a specific label added (color: green), but it also tells the month ("Meeting January", "Meeting Febuary", "Meeting March", ...). If I use this inside butler to sort by label it seems that I have to add all twelve labels ("green, Meeting January", "green, Meeting Febuary", ...). How can I add just "green"? I can't find an "editor" mode.

Before you start telling me about custom selects/dropdowns: thanks, but we have our reasons to use these labels, I just would like to use an easy sort criteria which should be available. :-)

1 answer

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2022

@Torsten Berger hi again! I believe you will need to sort by adding all the labels because Butler doesn't intrinsically know an order for labels (they're not like date fields that have oldest to newest, or numbers that are smallest to largest, etc) but you should be able to set that rule one time and it will forever sort by that!

When you say "editor" mode, what exactly are you looking for with that? 

Torsten Berger March 12, 2022

Hi @Brittany Joiner 

Thanks for your answer. It don't think it's about "knowing the order". If I have three labels with "Meeting March" it still can sort these, maybe these three are random, but all cards with that label are in one place, so it should also be possible to order with another attribute (instead of name), like the labelcolor. There are variables like cardlabelnames and cardlabelcolors, which can be reached otherwise but not here. We have currently five columns (topics) with projects and we have currently three colors to label (and each color with twelve months). So my sort definition is for each column a "by statement" with 36 individual labels instead of just three colors. I don't think thats good code.

"Edit mode" was my hope because the rule reads like

sort the cards in list "A & B" 
by label green "go",
yellow "xxx Dezember", yellow "xxx November", yellow "xxx Oktober",
yellow "xxx September", ...

I hoped I could just remove the names and leave it with one yellow (in this case). 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2022

@Torsten Berger yeah unfortunately you can't just apply a "all yellows" rule / trigger (that i know of)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events