[Bug?] All cards automatically have a Watch icon (the little eye)

Nick Flame December 15, 2018

Hi,

Recently, any new card that I create in my Trello board automatically has the Watch icon on it, even if I do not watch that board/list/card.

This occupies space unnecessarily on the card and I have to manually remove the watch icon for every card.

Is there any way I can stop them to automatically have the watch icon? I looked everywhere and I did not find an option to automatically remove the Watch notification/icon on every new card.

Thank you for your help.

7 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2018

Hi @Nick Flame I noticed there were six community users writing in with the same issue since Friday so I thought I would do a bit of investigating. Trello support is looking into it, however you can send info to trello.com/contact See screen shot, they are currently investigating the issue.

Once I know more I will share with you.

Thanks and have a good day,

Jodi

IMG_4044 (1).PNG

Don Dufinetz December 17, 2018

Same problem here since last week. Please post when there is a solution. Thx.

Like Carl Blake likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2018

Hi @Nick Flame & @Don Dufinetz I just found out that the Trello team made a temporary change as part of an experiment that includes the behavior you're seeing. There isn't currently a way to disable that, but I've passed your comments about the change along to the team. Sorry for the frustration in the meantime! Let us know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Have a great rest of your day.

Jodi

Like Shelby Rough Water Dock likes this
Don Dufinetz December 17, 2018

Thanks for your response, Jodi. I echo @Nick Flame sentiments about it being a hassle, but I understand experiments are undertaken from time to time. Will look forward to when I don't have to unclick the watch from every card I create.

Like Chelsea Walker likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2018

Thanks for your patience Don. it is only happening on random cards for me today, so that could mean the temporary experiment could be coming to an end.

Have a great day!
Jodi

davetgerrard December 18, 2018

I'm also experiencing this problem. It doesn't sound like a good way to run an experiment. How will they know which Watch-flags were set by the software and which were selected by the user? I'm assuming that all automatically added Watch-flags are going to remain in place after the 'experiment'.

GPHA Chinatown December 18, 2018

This is occurring for me as well and it's very annoying.  I understand the necessity of testing new features, but there should always be a way to opt out.  Otherwise, you'd be forcing people to adjust their own work to your experiment.  I'm hoping that all the cards that have automatically been set to watch will also revert automatically without me having to manually unwatch every single card?

Like Carl Blake likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2018

Thanks @GPHA Chinatown for your feedback, I am waiting on an ETA on when this will be resolved, I will update you when I hear more. Thanks for your patience.
Jodi

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2018

Hi @Nick Flame @davetgerrard Don, @GPHA Chinatown , Alexander, Chelsea, and Sharltn , the Trello Team received a lot of feedback about this autowatching feature that was recently enabled in Trello.   As a result they are planning to disable the auto-watch feature on creation of new cards for now.  However there is still an auto-watch enabled for any user that changes a due date on a card, that one will remain in effect for the time being. This change will take affect sometime between now and by end of day tomorrow (Thursday) for all Trello sites.

I hope this helps and have a great day,

Jodi

Like # people like this
Chelsea Walker December 19, 2018

Thanks so much for the heads up, I really appreciate the info!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Michael Vida April 22, 2019

Jodi, this is still an issue for me. Was this ever resolved?

0 votes
Shane Cunningham February 14, 2019

I also find this a bother. To turn off watching one has to click into each card and uncheck the eye icon, which is tedious. It would be nice to turn off watching for an entire board, which I know is an option but it does not disable the watch already set for each card within the board, so turning off watch for the board effectively does nothing.

J April 13, 2019

The only thing that's triggered it for me recently is changing the due date. A Butler rule took care of it.

Like Dominic_Beaudoin likes this
0 votes
Jess O'Callaghan December 19, 2018

Thanks for the answers here, it's been frustrating me all week. I am looking forward to this experiment being resolved! If this became an ongoing feature with no option to opt out of automatic watch on all new individual cards it would make me consider not using trello, I've found it a real nuisance. 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2018

Thanks Jess for you comments, and for your patience this week. Hoping this is now resolved for you, if not it will be by end of day tomorrow. 

0 votes
sharltn December 18, 2018

This 'feature' is super annoying adding multiple clicks to every list... please give us an option to disable.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2018

Thanks @sharltn for your feedback, I am waiting on an ETA on when this will be resolved, I will update you when I hear more. Thanks for your patience.
Jodi

0 votes
Chelsea Walker December 17, 2018

Just want to note that I'm also looking forward to when this experiment ends, in case Trello is looking at how the community is responding to determine whether it might be considered a useful feature.

There's already a keyboard shortcut so I can easily add myself as a watcher to new cards I create, I can watch a list or board if I want to bulk-enable notifications, and the eye icons clutter up the UI, so I really hope auto-watching new cards does not become the default functionality.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2018

Thanks for sharing @Chelsea Walker - yes the Trello Team are definitely looking at  users' responses for this, I appreciate you sharing.

0 votes
Alexander Kern December 17, 2018

Same problem here since Friday. 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2018

Thanks Alexander for your feedback, I am waiting on an ETA on when this will be resolved, I will update you when I hear more. Thanks for your patience.
Jodi

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events