Board members, do they automatically become members if they are added to a card?

Todd Baumann April 23, 2019
I’d like to have a team be able to see all the cards on a board but only get notifications for the cards they are attached to. I think I must be missing something simple.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Danny Zuccaro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

Hi Todd,

To add someone to a card they will need to be members of the board. Once they are members, as you add them to a card they will be able to watch the card and receive notifications. You can read up on this here.

Hope this helps,

Danny

So, if my board has 130 cards and my project manager only needs access, or to interact with, 50 of those cards, they will get notifications for ALL cards on that board because they are a member of that board? We’re all getting hundreds of notifications per day, thereby making notifications useless. 

I run a construction company. Each address has its own board. Each board has multiple lists of tasks that are specific to certain people. For example, “enter budget into financial software”, would be a task that the CFO is responsible for and “order materials” would be a task the Project Manager is responsible for. Everyone on that board (there are 12) gets notifications if anyone does anything with any card resulting in everyone getting so many notifications it takes too much time even look at them. Is there a filter to only see notifications for cards you are attached to?

Danny Zuccaro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

Hi Todd,

You can set what you are watching to help modify the number of notifications you receive. If you follow this link and scroll midway down the page to the pro tip it will walk you through setting updating what you are watching. 

Hope this helps,

Danny

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2019

@Todd Baumann someone reported the other day that their team were being automatically subscribed to all notifications for the board, not just for cards they are members of.

Can you check if you and your team are all watching the entire board?

https://help.trello.com/article/799-subscribing-to-cards-lists-and-boards

When you're added to a card, you will automatically watch that card, and receive notifications for it.

Personally, I find even that is too much. I never want to watch any card, even when I'm a member of it. Getting notified when a card is moved, when a checklist item is completed, when a comment is added that I'm not mentioned in, when it's due, when it's archived, unarchived, label added, another member added, another member removed ... it's all way too much.

I set up Benko Board which unsubscribes me from any card I'm added to:

https://trello.com/integrations/#/benkoboard

That means I only get notified about being added, removed and mentioned. This makes the notifications much more usable.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events