Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Board limits & archiving

Steven Somfalvi October 8, 2019

Hi everyone!  I've used Trello for quite some time and have noticed that when I have lots of lists and cards, the board can slow down (I can have over 1000 cards in any one board).

So, first question, is there a magic number of lists/cards that one should stay under?

Two, when I archive a list of 200 cards, does the archived cards stil effect how quickly the Trello board responds?

Much thanks!

Steve

1 answer

0 votes
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2019

In the Trello Developer pages, the hard limit seems to be 4500 cards - which is quite a bit more than you have. Seems like there's definitely a practical limit in this case since it's causing latency. 

Since I don't know of your use case, I can only say that 1k on a board seems excessive if we look at this as a list-making and organization platform. I know that lots of people use Trello in various ways though. 

As for the archival - my guess is that you would see an uptick in speed if you started archiving the cards. The latency you're experiencing may just be Trello chugging when it tries to display all of the active cards. 

Steven Somfalvi October 8, 2019

Thank you Meg!  But would say 5,000 cards in Archive slow the "face" of the board?

Steven Somfalvi October 10, 2019

Does anyone know if archived cards so the board down or count towards the hard limit of 4500 cards?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events