Board Observers, Attachments, and Butler Buttons

Michele F. November 15, 2019

Hi Trello experts,

I'm trying to setup a ticketing process based on one Trello board, and I was thinking of having people who open the tickets as Observers of the board (so that they can see the status and progress of their requests).

Before buying Trello Business Class to be able to have board observers, I would need to know whether:

1. Observers will be able to add attachments to card.
  2. I can set up a Butler button, and make the button available to Observers, so that - for instance - I can have a button to have Observers move cards to the "Done" list when they want to close a ticket.

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Regards,

Michele

1 answer

0 votes
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2019

Hi Michele,

Great questions.

Observers cannot add attachments to a card—adding an attachment constitutes editing a card, which is what Observers are not permitted to do.

As for the Butler button, Free Butler users are limited to one button per board, so if your board had a few buttons, for example, they'll have some trouble. If you limit to that being the only button, they'd be able to see it. The larger problem is that Board Buttons are designed to take the prescribed actions on the board on behalf of the person who clicks the button. In other words, if I click the button, *my account* will take the actions the button is set up to do. If you click the button, *your account* will take those actions. Observers can't move cards, so the button will fail when an Observer clicks on it.

Michele F. November 22, 2019

Hi Mikelj,

Thank you for your answer!

Regards,

Michele

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events