Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Best way to manage To Do's in Trello for Teams

Hey all, I wanted to put this out there and see if anyone has a solution. Here is out goal:

We have 4 collections of boards for Clients, Internal, Marketing and Personal To Do's.

We set up the workflows that all To Do's are entered into the Primary board (which are the individual client boards, the individual internal boards or the individual marketing boards. When someone is assigned a card in any primary board, we set up Unito.io to create a mirror of that card in the Personal To Do board of the member assigned and linked the status/list/dates etc so that everything is in sync.

This was working well until we hit our automation limit with Unito.io and it was determined that the solution cannot be scaled well. Have any of you built a solution for this?

3 answers

As an update to this original issue - spoke with Unito.io and was able to get on another plan type which allows for unlimited automations, so we are back in business!

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Sep 24, 2021

@Allie I built a product called BenkoBoard that centralises cards a team member is added to or comments mentioned in (as well as minimising notifications by unwatching cards you're added to).

I think this would probably address the issue. It also integrates Gmail with Trello (but you don't have to enable automated import) so the signup is with Gmail only right now:

http://www.benkoboard.com/

@Allie 

What is the automation limit you had experienced with Unito?

I have a custom power up built but have never put it through the rigorous testing in terms of volume and concurrent users. It uses native webhooks. It handles labels, checklist, due dates, CF, description, attachments. Supports 2 way and or 1 way. It runs on a Low code platform. 

So with Unito.io the package we are on allows for 30 automations, the Enterprise package (their largest package) allows for a max of 80. to create the wheel and spoke kind of automations where cards and details map from a primary card to one or many child cards it uses one automation for each spoke of those wheels. 

@Allie 

Thanks for sharing the entitlement details for Unito.

I have just re-activated my test workspace for the Superhero "MirrorSync". I removed the need for a custom power up. **Update**just created a simple MirrorSync map on a board

The implementation : it uses Trello webhook with idModel = card id . This will send all the card changes to the endpoint that handles the sychronisation. Because each category of change is contained in self contained module, I can limit the type changes eg sync only checklist or checklist and labels...etc

I don't think there is any limitation on how many webhooks you can have for a API/Token.

Test case

Set up a rule to copy a card when someone is added to the card, and when the initial setup is completed, move that card to a personal. board.

The test card is on "Doing" and the cards to the left were my earlier test cards. Note that there is no additional labels added to either card. This is different from Unito. 

Remove the sync is via an automation to remove the webhook. 
**Update** allow for checklist state to be replicate in the initial setup. Will add support for advanced checklist at least for initial setup. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 6.23.52 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-09-25 at 6.23.31 AM.jpg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: New years' resolutions with Trello

Congratulations to @Laura Holton , our latest winner of Taco Tuesday! And thanks to @Kristján Geir Mathiesen for sharing the picture of Taco having fun with his new friend  B...

2,402 views 28 42
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you