Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automation to Clear ALL Custom Fields Edited

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping that you'll be able to help me out with this one. We have a TON of custom fields on our boards, but they're not all the same. For example, we have a Leads board that will have custom fields for the "Last Contacted" date, "Email", "Phone", etc. while our Pipeline board will not necessarily need that information. 

Is there a way to use the Butler to clear the information in all the custom fields on a card in the Leads board before moving it to the Pipeline board so that the card doesn't cause unnecessary custom fields to be created on its destination board? 

I have set up some automation to clear most of the fields, but with the 20 command limit, I cannot remove them all with one command. 

2 answers

@Nina Medlock 

Any move or copy, as you have observed will cause the values to be inserted in the CFs with the same name.

Alternative you need a new card and use automation to carry only a selected list CFs to the new card. Did this for client to bring selected lot acquisition over to a lot holding board. 

By the way, you need to upgrade from your free plan. 20 commands will be exhausted with 10 of the above automation. 

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Jul 08, 2021

@Nina Medlock you could use BenkoBot instead which has no command limits. I find the best way to do this is to copy the card, then clear custom fields and link the original to the copy. That way you have the full history while not cross pollinating your custom fields between boards.

This function will copy a card in this way to a new board when you move it to the "Move to Next Board" list:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/a3a05912a78e8ad895192bdc1eec3616

You can use this link to load the code into BenkoBot, just need to edit your list/board names up the top:

Click here to load into BenkoBot 

You will have to generate your API key and token first, but then you will have 10 free minutes. Once you run out of minutes you can pay USD$10/month if you want to keep it running, and you're able to install many more automations to run since that gets up to 5,000 execution minutes.

You can see other examples here:

https://trello.com/b/IoHmhz5c/benkobot-community-board

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

🏊‍♀️ Atlympic Event: Trello

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

182 views 2 13
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you