It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automation - Create card from checklist keeping parent card fields

Hi, 

I want to create a button to automate the creation of new cards from a checklist in an existing card but I would like that the new card get the same customs fiels than the parent card where it comes from. Is it possible ?

Thanks,

Kevin

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley Community Leader Apr 09, 2020

@Kevin O'Neill the custom fields will be the same structure for all cards on a board, but there's no way with Butler to make it retain the same custom field values when created.

Something like this Trellinator command would detect any time a card is linked to another card and copy the custom fields from the parent to the child:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/808efbe3f906bde7df74b458acaf2e46

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Thanks for your answer. I will take a look. 

I think I found another way to deal with my problem. Is it possible to get only a part of a variable in Trello ? I mean if my {cardname} = "Test 123", is it possible to just get "Test" like truncate string function ?

Iain Dooley Community Leader Apr 15, 2020

@Kevin O'Neill hmmm you can under some circumstances. For example you can trigger a command when a card matching a pattern like "Test {*}" is created, and then the text that matches will be stored in a variable {wildcard1} (you can also do regular expression pattern matching) BUT, you can't arbitrarily match text at any time during the command process.

So for example, you can't say "set custom field BLAH to text in trigger card title matching Test {*}" (you could do this in the old Butler Bot but not in the new version based on the power up).

So I don't think there's any way that you'd be able to use an element of the trigger card name or description to set custom fields on a linked card created from a checklist item

Okay, I understand. Thank you for your help !

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,550 views 13 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you