Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic mail sending with Butler, with insertion of fields

Abel Campos April 24, 2019

Hello!

I want to send automatic emails with Butler, inserting previously created fields with Butler in e-mail.

That when creating a card in a new list, butler send to the email address created with butler in the "e-mail" field (address of my client), along with other information from other similar fields ...

This is possible directly from rules in Butler ?.

Would there be another way to do it without leaving Trello ?.

Thank you!

4 answers

1 vote
Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2019

Jumping in here as well @Abel Campos !!

To piggyback off of the great help by @Iain Dooley and @Katrin Anger you can set those emails to send dynamically based off of the custom field value using a Custom Field Variable.

For example, if you had a custom field called Email, you could set your rule to send an email to the recipient {{%Email}}. The email address entered in that field would be the recipient, so if you entered taco@trello.com in the Email custom field, it would send that to our mascot!

0 votes
Abel Campos April 26, 2019

Thanks Katrin!!

0 votes
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2019

@Abel Campos @Iain Dooley 

Hi Abel, here is an example how an email notification sent from Butler would look like:

Checklist-Email-Notification.png

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2019

@Abel Campos you can use Butler to send emails, I'm on the free Trello plan so I don't have access to that feature to demonstrate it, but if it's anything like Butler Bot you can certainly set the "to" field using a custom field value. @Katrin Anger can you provide an example?

The email sent will come *from* Butler though, so your clients will see that it was sent by Butler, not by you.

One way that I used to get around this when I was using Butler Bot was to send the email from Butler with a specific format into the Zapier email parser, extract out all the details then use Zapier to send the email from my Gmail account. Doing it this way has the benefit that the email is sent instantly. If you were to do this in Zapier without Butler, you'd have to wait 5 - 15 minutes for the email to go out depending on how much you're paying Zapier.

You could also set up Trellinator to run under your own G-Suite account and send emails out using the Google Apps Script MailApp. Here's an example:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/723758fd1c5a1cce77877edfb3466bbd

You can see how to set up Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-articles/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Abel Campos April 26, 2019

Thanks Lain!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events