Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

At what level does custom field deletion apply?

I have several boards in a single workspace with different custom fields. 

By happenstance, I discovered that when you move a card with custom fields to a different board, it adds any custom fields that exist on the board it was moved from, that do not already exist on the board it was moved to

Moving the card from "board A" to "board B" was unintentional. I have moved the card back to its appropriate board, but now I want to delete all of "board A's" custom fields that are now showing up on "board B". I want to make absolutely sure that custom field deletion only applies to the board levelSaid differently, I want to make sure that deleting a custom field on "board B" will not also delete that custom field on "board A". 

If you know for a fact, please advise. Losing a custom field across all boards would be disastrous. 

2 answers

0 votes
Hannah Morgan Community Leader Jan 23, 2022

Hey @Emily Kauffman - just mirroring what @milynnus mentioned - custom fields exist at the board level - not the workspace or instance level. It seems that when you copy/move a card from one board to another, most information is copied/moved, including board level fields such as custom fields and labels, which subsequently get added to that destination board. However, I'd assume these labels/custom fields that were created on the destination board have a completely different ID to the original labels/custom fields, so deleting them off the destination board will not delete them from the original board. If you can, try creating a dummy custom field and testing it with that first if you want to be extra careful (I tested it and it did not delete from both boards).

0 votes
milynnus Rising Star Jan 19, 2022

@Emily Kauffman 

The Custom field definitions are specific to a board.

@milynnus What do you mean by "definitions"? I am not seeing how that relates to the question. 

@Emily Kauffman 

When you setup Custom Fields, for each case you create a definition by giving it a name, type and options(eg dropdown).

@milynnus Right. So the question is: if I delete a custom field on one board, does it delete in on all boards or only that board?

For example:

Board A and Board B both have a custom field called "clients" with a dropdown menu. If I delete this field on Board A, does it also delete the client custom field on Board B?

@Emily Kauffman 

Correct.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events