Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving old/idle cards

Joel Galecki April 23, 2020

Is there a way to archive old/idle cards that have been sitting in a list that haven't seen activity in a while? I can't get the butler "archive all the cards more than ## Days in list @@@" to actually do anything when i make it 548 days in my Done list. We have jobs that come in and out 5 times within a year and a half that we like to reference but anything that's been sitting there idle, i'd like to have it archived. I just cant get that function to work for me. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2020

@Joel Galecki You could create an archive board to reduce load on your main board, I create archive boards by year or quarter depending on volume, then link to each board from cards in an overview board.

That might not be a bad idea. I have to see if i can make a board button that will move all cards with say 2016 in the title of the card that is titled 2016555. This way I can move all the 2016s to an archive board

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2020

@Joel Galecki I'm pretty sure you won't be able to do this with Butler, there's no "for each card in list" anymore, but something like this Trellinator function would do it for all cards older than 3 months, and create the archive boards by year as it goes:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/a2ae55eb191fc8c58126895e5226d765

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

@Iain Dooley  So I made a board button that did:

Move each card in list DONE

with the name starting with 2016

to list 2016 CIVIL ARCHIVE

on board 2016 ARCHIVE

And that worked! i'm hoping with these cards off the list my team will stop getting the pop up in chrome that says, "Page failed to load" and the trello site just freezes. After moving 2016 and 2017 a good 800+ cards moved. (we get about 300-500 job tasks a year and we have to reference and update the card 4-6 times in the life span of the job before it closes out.) Thanks again for your suggestion!!

Like Iain Dooley likes this
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

@Joel Galecki aha! Good find, there's a "move each card" with a filter, I assumed because there was no more generic "for each card" command there wouldn't be a way to do it. Thanks for sharing!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events