Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving and deleting cards in error

Jack Hagen May 13, 2020

Hello,

I'm admin for a board and have queries that will help ensure cards don't go missing without my oversight. I ask about solutions from most preferred to least:

1. Is there a way to stop board members from being able to archive and delete cards, whilst still being able to edit and move them freely?

2. Can i turn off the press C to archive shortcut? Or make a prompt asking if they are sure first? It is ludicrously easy to archive something in error, and not even know about it! This has caused us issues on at least a few occasions over only a few months!

3. If a card is archived or deleted, can i get a special notification for this? I think it comes through in the notifications, but is quite easily lost in the density of notifications.

Thank you in advance for your help. Trello is a brilliant tool, but the ease at which things can just go missing is a critical weakness and risk to our ongoing usage.

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2020

@Jack Hagen responses below:

1) No, if they are board members they have full access

2) No, you can't disable keyboard shortcuts

3) One option is to use Butler to do something like this, it will guard against accidents but not malice:

2020-05-13 at 11.23 pm.pngThe reason I put that "not in list Need to Archive" clause in there is if someone actually did need to get rid of a chunk of cards, and say they archived all cards in a list, then it would potentially very quickly exhaust your Butler quota.

If you did find this exhausting your quota, you could do the same thing directly via the API using this Trellinator function:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/0228834de00f2519b8eedf7b6d08c388

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Jack Hagen May 13, 2020

Hi Iain,

Thank you for your quick response.

I am disappointed that there is not a more robust solution, but I appreciate you confirming what can't be done and taking the time to outline the workaround that you have suggested.

Hopefully, this is something Trello's development team can look into.

To avoid cluttering the board with another column, I will manually check the 'archived items' each week to assess if anything new has been put there in error; we do not archive much so this should be sufficient.

Thank you again for your response and help.

Like Iain Dooley likes this
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2020

@Jack Hagen note that you could also put that archive list on a different board that you can check to avoid cluttering things up, if the archived items solution doesn't hold up.

Jack Hagen May 14, 2020

Thanks for the additional workaround

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events