• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Any way to stop getting warning email about an archived email-to-board card? Edited

I recently returned to Trello after a long hiatus and re-activated the email-to-board feature, which I find very convenient.

However, for some reason now, if a card gets created from an email and I archive that card, then any subsequent replies to that message generates a silly email from Trello that says:

It looks like you are trying to use Trello’s email-to-board feature, which is great! The only problem is, it looks like the card [title of card] is archived. Whoops!

Your email is still being forwarded to that card.

If you want to unarchive a card, there are instructions on Archiving and deleting cards.

Add that quick fix, and you’ll be emailing to cards to your heart’s content.

For more information on sending cards to your board via email, please visit our help page.

Yes, I KNOW! I MEANT to do that!! It's not a "problem"!!! I WANT the card to be archived, and I don't want to see any further action in Trello with respect to that email thread.

Is there any way to get Trello to just shut up in this situation?

Even worse, a colleague of mine has gotten the same email to THEIR address when they are on such a thread. This colleague  is not on a Trello team with me, and the archived card in question was not in any way shared with her Trello account. If this is happening to random people who may have sent me inquiries, then this is truly scary prospect. I will need to stop using the email-to-board feature until this issue is resolved, or I will need to migrate to some other competitor's product.

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Jul 23, 2020

@mandrecphdN the problem is that Trello automatically threads email conversations, and sometimes it does it incorrectly, and when it does, it warns you that it was going to add a comment to an existing, archived card instead of creating a new card. It used to just silently add the comment and your email would disappear.

If you're looking for a more comprehensive email integration, you might like BenkoBoard which I created to let you use Trello as a Gmail client:

http://www.benkoboard.com/

I don't need "comprehensive email integration", and I certainly don't want to use Trello as my Gmail client. I just want Trello to keep quiet about new emails on threads associated with archived cards. I guess that's too much to ask for. I have begun exploring other project management platforms, since Trello clearly won't work for my use case. Thank you!

FYI, Trello is correctly threading the conversation. That's not the issue. I just want to be able to archive a card associated with a still-active email thread and not get those silly warning emails.

Iain Dooley Community Leader Jul 24, 2020

@mandrecphdN it was far worse when it silently added comments to archived cards if you ask me, but if you just never want to see that warning email why don't you just filter them out?

Filter them at what level? On my email client? But that won't solve the issue of why these same messages seem to be appearing in other people's inboxes. That's a much bigger problem. I can't be saying to every single new person that communicates with me: "Oh, BTW, you'll need to filter out these emails coming from Trello"...

I understand the rationale behind this design choice: you don't automatically want comments being silently added to archived cards and then have people wonder why they're not seeing their new messages in Trello. But since reasonable people with different use cases are disagreeing as to what the "correct" behavior ought to be (at least I assume I'm reasonable), then perhaps the sensible thing for Trello to do is let the user decide which behavior they want.

Iain Dooley Community Leader Jul 24, 2020

@mandrecphdN the use case of email to board and email to card is for each trello user to have a way of creating cards or comments using their personal address. Those addresses aren't meant to be shared with others, so what you're describing is well and truly an edge case.

If you're want to communicate with people outside of Trello, from within Trello or you want people to be able to create Trello cards in your account via Trello then try:

1) BenkoDesk http://www.benkodesk.com/

2) SendBoard: https://sendboard.com/

3) Hipporello: https://www.hipporello.com/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

836 views 14 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you