Any thing beyond 4 lines of text gets deleted when I edit the description on an existing card

Sierk Oudemans January 22, 2018

I just noticed this this morning: When I go to edit a description on an existing card I loose all but the top 4 text lines of that description.  I have no idea what is happening.  I restarted my browser (Chrome) and I checked with my co-worker who also uses trello.  He did not have this issue.  Anyone seen this before and possibly recommend a solution?

Thanks.

4 answers

1 vote
Sierk Oudemans January 24, 2018

Hi all,

I think I have the answer though I am suffering great pains off loss because of it.  For now there is no solution, just a warning to all who have activated the Elegantt Power-up which was the cause of the problem as well as the loss of a significant amount of my data in the description of my cards.   

Be Warned that if you use Elegantt and you allow it to clean up your cards during the uninstall process you may lose data in your descriptions. 

I will apologize in advance for making this so long but let me explain: I am a free user, limited to one powerup per board.  A few months back I set up an experimental board and activated Elegantt to test the Gantt chart functionality.  Recently I deleted that board because I was done with the experimentation and did not need it any longer.  I did not deactivate Elegantt prior to deleting the board.  Please note that Elegant did try to infiltrate other boards by placing messages in certain areas though I had not paid much attention to it.  In hindsight I find that this powerup was pretty invasive.

Shortly after I deleted the test board I noticed the described issue: data missing from the description of my cards and later a message: “Elegantt data. What’s this?" underneath the description of every card in my other boards.  It was not as stated "every fourth line" but instead any text after the start of the markdown URL I had in the description of every card.  I use a template description that contains this URL which therefore ends up in more or less the same location

When I opened the Trello board in Firefox, internet explorer or an incognito Chrome window  I would find the description intact and the following code added at the bottom of each card’s descriptions:

---
[Elegantt data. What's this?](http://bit.ly/elegantt-for-trello-whats-this)
[]Elegantt_data:dont_delete{"ignored":false,"autoPlanned":false,"ownerId":false,"dependencies":[],"ped":"2017-09-07T16:00:00-05:00"})

I believe now that:

• the top line (“---") is a rule
  • the second line (“[Elegantt data. What's this?](http://bit.ly/elegantt-for-trello-whats-this)”) is Markdown language for the short cut shown below my description
  • the final line (“[](Elegantt_data:dont_delete{"ignored":false,"autoPlanned":false,"ownerId":false,"dependencies":[],"ped":"2017-09-07T16:00:00-05:00"})”) is a clever piece of code to hide the markup from view when opening the description in the Trello editor, though this part only worked in Chrome.
  • My descriptions have a pre-formatted text block in it that includes a URL to an intranet application. I believe that the clever bit of code was designed to hide everything after the start of a markdown hyperlink, assuming that it would be the only one in the description of a card.
  • I also believe that the inserted text was an advertisement for Elegantt (this is the part that upsets me most).  Thus somehow Elegantt inserted an advertisement in every one of my cards.  I don’t mind advertisements, which pay for my usage, but this went  too far.

To finish the story,  I went to disable/uninstal the Elegantt powerup, because by now I was pretty sure it was the cause of the problem.  When I did, the uninstaller asked me if I wanted to have all corresponding Elegantt modifications removed (a message to that effect).  I made the mistake to say “yes”  The uninstaller consistently removed a major portion of the content of my descriptions which I am painstakingly putting back.  Fortunately I am a pretty new user so I am only .  

I just found to "turn Elegantt off" you may have to go to your profile and under settings "Revoke" its access.

As a final lesson learned: if for any reason you lose your data in Trello - subscription member or not - you have no way of getting it back.  Trello's backup recovery systems are limited only to major system wide disasters.

1 vote
Sierk Oudemans January 23, 2018

This is a follow up on my original post.  For some odd reason this currently happens on my work laptop and not my home computer. I will submit a ticket to Trello Support and report back if I/they come up with a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help

Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2018

Hello, Sierk!

Please do report back on what the Support staff say - this is very bizarre behavior. Have you tried a different browser on the same computer to see if it's still happening?

Sierk Oudemans January 23, 2018

Thanks Devon for your interest.

Support has already picked up the issue and is looking into it.  In addition I have found that one of the power-ups modified my cards and I have a pretty good idea that the modification might be the cause of the trouble.  I have informed support and am waiting to hear back from them.  I will give a full explanation of my findings when I have an answer.

Sierk Oudemans January 25, 2018

Hi all,

I think I have the answer though I am suffering great pains off loss because of it.  For now there is no solution, just a warning to all who have activated the Elegantt Power-up which was the cause of the problem as well as the loss of a significant amount of my data in the description of my cards.   

Be Warned that if you use Elegantt and you allow it to clean up your cards during the uninstall process you may lose data in your descriptions. 

I will apologize in advance for making this so long but let me explain: I am a free user, limited to one powerup per board.  A few months back I set up an experimental board and activated Elegantt to test the Gantt chart functionality.  Recently I deleted that board because I was done with the experimentation and did not need it any longer.  I did not deactivate Elegantt prior to deleting the board.  Please note that Elegant did try to infiltrate other boards by placing messages in certain areas though I had not paid much attention to it.  In hindsight I find that this powerup was pretty invasive.

Shortly after I deleted the test board I noticed the described issue: data missing from the description of my cards and later a message: “Elegantt data. What’s this?" underneath the description of every card in my other boards.  It was not as stated "every fourth line" but instead any text after the start of the markdown URL I had in the description of every card.  I use a template description that contains this URL which therefore ends up in more or less the same location

When I opened the Trello board in Firefox, internet explorer or an incognito Chrome window  I would find the description intact and the following code added at the bottom of each card’s descriptions:

---
[]Elegantt_data:dont_delete{"ignored":false,"autoPlanned":false,"ownerId":false,"dependencies":[],"ped":"2017-09-07T16:00:00-05:00"})

I believe now that:

• the second line (“[Elegantt data. What's this?](http://bit.ly/elegantt-for-trello-whats-this)”) is Markdown language for the short cut shown below my description
  • the final line (“[](Elegantt_data:dont_delete{"ignored":false,"autoPlanned":false,"ownerId":false,"dependencies":[],"ped":"2017-09-07T16:00:00-05:00"})”) is a clever piece of code to hide the markup from view when opening the description in the Trello editor, though this part only worked in Chrome.
  • My descriptions have a pre-formatted text block in it that includes a URL to an intranet application. I believe that the clever bit of code was designed to hide everything after the start of a markdown hyperlink, assuming that it would be the only one in the description of a card.
  • I also believe that the inserted text was an advertisement for Elegantt (this is the part that upsets me most).  Thus somehow Elegantt inserted an advertisement in every one of my cards.  I don’t mind advertisements, which pay for my usage, but this went  too far.

To finish the story,  I went to disable/uninstal the Elegantt powerup, because by now I was pretty sure it was the cause of the problem.  When I did, the uninstaller asked me if I wanted to have all corresponding Elegantt modifications removed (a message to that effect).  I made the mistake to say “yes”  The uninstaller consistently removed a major portion of the content of my descriptions which I am painstakingly putting back.  Fortunately I am a pretty new user so I am only .  

I just found to "turn Elegantt off" you may have to go to your profile and under settings "Revoke" its access.

As a final lesson learned: if for any reason you lose your data in Trello - subscription member or not - you have no way of getting it back.  Trello's backup recovery systems are limited only to major system wide disasters.

Also note that I was trying to do some cleanup on the previous post and mark it complete and kept loosing the content of the message - Not sure what is happening.

0 votes
Sierk Oudemans January 26, 2018

Sorry, it seems I am having trouble editing this post.  I tried cleaning it up but whatever I did seems to have back fired.  If anyone has any ideas on how to delete the duplicate posts (and this one) let me know.  thanks

0 votes

Hi all,

---

I believe now that:

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events