It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Adding members with same names

Hello, 

Many years ago we have a colleague named Michael X - who had a michael@company.com email account linked to Trello. After leaving the company, all of his accounts were deleted.

Now, year later, we have a new colleague named Michael Y who has joined the team and picked up the michael@company.com email account. However, when trying to add him into trello, trello recognizes that, even though it was deleted, that this email account existed in the past and is there fore continuously signing him in as Michael X instead of Michael Y. Trello is not allowing me to send a new invite to the new invite, it is only readding the old Michael.

Any way I can fix this?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
marc Community Leader Feb 13, 2019

@Kim De RoseThat sounds a bit of a problem.  However what the new Michael Y can do is:  log into the account as Michael X, then change the name to Michael Y.

If you'd want to erase the history of the old Michael X, you'd need to contact Trello support.

Iain Dooley Community Leader Feb 13, 2019

@marc they can't just delete the account?

marc Community Leader Feb 14, 2019

@Iain DooleyDeleting the account seems to be the problem.

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Feb 14, 2019

@Kim De Rose if an account was deleted in the past, Trello won't recognise it. Probably, it wasn't correctly deleted in the past. Possibly what happened is the email was deleted initially and then someone went to delete the Trello account, but Trello sends an email with a delete button in it, when deleting an account. So if the email had been removed, this wouldn't have worked.

If you're signing into a Trello account that existed in the past, just go to the settings page, click delete account, then click "send the email". If you don't receive an email, it's because a past delivery failure has caused the address to be blocked, you can email support@trello.com and ask them to remove that block.

Once you have deleted the account, you will be able to sign up a new user with the same email address.

Hi Iain,

Thanks for your suggestion. The thing is we have deleted the account. And the first Michael no longer shows up in the members list of the company. However, when I go to "invite a new member" and I type the email account (that was also deleted from our server years ago) that is now assigned to the new MIchael.. this is where the problem begins. When I type in that email address, it automatically pops up in trello to invite the old Michael.

Does that make sense?

Kim

Iain Dooley Community Leader Feb 15, 2019

@Kim De Rose Hmm so if you try to log in with that account it doesn't exist? And you can't do a forgotten password request, but you can't create a new account? That sounds counter to my understanding of account deletion ... I think you'll need to email support@trello.com 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,594 views 14 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you