Small suggestion: button "Convert to card and copy link to clipboard"

Victor Crisóstomo Cruz Reis December 13, 2017

Dear,

In my projects I usually create an "OVERVIEW" list with cards that have checklists with links to the task cards. To do this I first add all checklist topics, then convert them to cards, then copy the link in the card activity log and create a new topic with the link. When I have large checklists I have to keep scrolling the page down to get the link, which can become tedious.

The suggestion would be to add a button "Convert to card and copy link to clipboard" or even make available a small text box with the link. And best of all is that it is extremely easy and quick to implement.

Thank you!
Victor Reis

1 comment

Marta Galofre de Alos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2017

Hi Victor,

Marta here, from Trello Support.

Thanks for sharing your insights with us! Could you please further explain the workflow you're trying to implement? If I understood correctly, you create a card with a checklist. Then, you create cards from the checklist items. Finally, you copy the original's card link to the newly created card, is that right? I'd like to better understand what you're trying to achieve to see if we can provide an alternative solution to your needs. 

Please let us know!

Victor Crisóstomo Cruz Reis December 19, 2017

Hi Marta,

Let me explain:

1) I create a card with a checklist.

2) Then, I create cards from the checklist items using the button "Convert to card" and the list itens disappear, nothing uncommon.

3) I go to the "detailed activity log" in the bottom of the original's card (in cards with large checklists and large acativity logs it becomes tedious).

4) I copy the link to the newly created card ("Victor Reis converted 'card link' of the checklist item for this card").

5) I paste the link in the original checklist.

6) Now I have a checklist with only links to all cards.

That way I can have an "OVERVIEW" card for the sole purpose of giving me an overview of everything I have to do. When updating the created card name from an item in the list the name of the card is automatically updated on the OVERVIEW card. Another facility is that through this card I have direct access to all other cards. Finally I use several "OVERVIEW" cards each destined for a module of the system which I develop, giving me more control. I use this technique with Scrum so that I can manage development quickly without loss of time.

My suggestion is to create a "Convert to Card" button and copy the link to Clipboard "next to the" Convert to Card "button. This way you would not need to perform steps 3 and 4. Or it could be a "Convert to Card and Add as List" button.

Now is it clearer to understand?

Thank You!

Marta Galofre de Alos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2017

Hi Victor,

Thanks so much for getting back to me and further explaining this. I now see what you're trying to achieve!

I'll share your interest on that with my team for their consideration. In the meantime though, there might be a Power-Up you could be interested in. It's called CardSync for Teams. 

This Power-Up will enable you to create and manage groups of cards that will have all their comments, attachments and checklist state changes mirrored into each other, even across multiple boards. You could, therefore, have an "OVERVIEW" board, with all the mirrored cards from other boards.

Here's more info on the Power-Up, I hope you find it useful: https://info.trello.com/power-ups/cardsync

Cheers,

Marta

Victor Crisóstomo Cruz Reis December 21, 2017

Hi Marta,

I'm going to test this Power-Up, thanks for the tip!
But anyway I still think this little feature would be useful.

When you have news about accepting or rejecting the idea post here if possible. Thank you!

Cheers,

Victor Reis

Marta Galofre de Alos
Atlassian Team
December 21, 2017

Hi Victor,

You can check what features our devs are currently working on, check out our dev board at http://www.trello.com/dev.

And if you're curious about how our team decides on what requests we work on, this article gives some insight into that process: http://help.trello.com/article/724-submitting-feature-requests-for-trello

I hope that helps!

Marta

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events