Show Description on card list

Daniel S June 29, 2017

Is there any way to show the card description in the list of cards?  This would be so helpfull to be able to just glance at cards to know what they are about.

16 comments

Torben_trello
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2017

Right now this is not available. The card description or any comments are only available by opening the card back.

I'll let our team know, that you are interested in a feature like that.

Like # people like this
Aleksandar May 8, 2019

Hello guys, great idea. 
Would love to ask Torben about this.
I had on my mind one thing, if I got it properly (excuse me if I'm not), is similar to this one and could help: the transparent background for cards (in lists) in the board view. Similar to labels option but for the transparency of a pleasant eye comfort when checking results of team members. 

The idea on my mind is simple: in 3+person teams to have a proper view of the board member names while checking the cards. Since I'm moving the cards from the one-to-another board (not archiving them). Means like Cards are put in the list and I can see with the "transparent background for cards" to see who was the member who posts the card: Jordan, Franz or Ivan. I'm grateful for the whole Trello story and felt like I could add my new ideas. 

Sure this can be done in other ways with keeping the records separately (what is the case) but is ok for periods to cruise with the look over the recent period "results" and the situation. 
Hope I expressed myself enough to understand. 

Best regards guys, 

Aleksandar

Like sportsscientist likes this
Tymoteus O September 21, 2022

Hi,

Any update on this?

My team considers switching from MS Planner to Trello, but inability to see card description at a glance is a dealbreaker. We have a screen on the wall displaying Planner for everyone to see, and would like to be able to use Trello for that.

Like # people like this
Russell Semenov February 14, 2018

+1. Option to be able to see the description in the list would go a long way, provided that you can't really format the NAME of a card. 

Often times just a few lines is all you need for the description, this way you can quickly skim your entire list(s), not having to click on each card individually

I like how you did the "show/no-show" option on labels, the description could be implemented in a similar way

Also - multi-select and multi-edit/delete cards is really necessary! 

Like # people like this
dwightspencer April 22, 2018

+1.  playing a bit with "meistertask", it has an option to show a substring (first 100 chars or so) of the description of cards/tasks.  Have switched to Trello since testing meistertask, though, as it has other features I wanted.

sportsscientist August 9, 2018

100%, all that is required is a snippet like Gmail and other mail programs use.

Grand prize would be if one could toggle the view like with the label names, and expand the entire description or show only the snippet.

Like Tomasz_Tarchała likes this
Deleted user August 21, 2018

Indeed, that was also one thing that (almost) convinced me to switch to Meistartask. The description snippet would benefit me greatly (and make it optional as other people may have opposite feeling).

renata pusinskiene January 8, 2019

+100

Would really be helpful!

Hubert Kut
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2019

+100.  Anyone knows if there is any backlog for new features related to Trello?

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2019

+100 also!  this would be great, especially a toggle on/off on card.

Alex Casal June 22, 2020

Or maybe just when hovering over the description icon, show the content of the description instead of the annoying message "This card has a description attached"

And it is more, you can make this same method with other attached files, like images or PDFs, even if it were only the name of them

Like # people like this
stuart_boon May 11, 2022

I like this idea a lot! Non intrusive way of showing more information about tasks included in the card. 

JM December 12, 2019

Is this feature still not available? 

dawtomczak January 18, 2020

i think it is still not available

+1

Deleted user January 26, 2020

Hmm.. not being able to view checklists or descriptions (as you can on Microsoft Planner) is a deal breaker for me.  Disappointing.  Great product otherwise.

Alex Casal September 22, 2022

You have the "Next Steps" plugin for beeing able to see checklists' items

Adam Mros March 1, 2020

been on this app for all of 5 min everytime i start working with a pm app theres always some essential feature missing 

yes great way to keep track of all your tasks mate fan bloddy fan tastic 

now if i could print this out with the descriptions showing then my employer would know what  i have been doing whats complete and what the details where ...... another epic fail might have to just stick to a good old fashioned spread sheet ....... disappointing

Hames Pro August 7, 2020

Is this available yet? Id love to use checklists, but I always forget to open the card. 

Alex Casal August 8, 2020

For checklist you can use the Chrome extension "Next Step" Next Step 

With this extension you can choose to see the items on a certain checklist or in all checklist without need to open the card.

There is still no available option to see also the description on the page

karl October 21, 2020

1. Is this feature still not available?

2. Is there a feature request website where we can submit features that we would like to have or maybe vote for features other users have requested?

Marcus D April 19, 2021

Would also love this feature.

ryan May 21, 2021

+100.

Would be great to use markup to style to card title, or just keep that feature in the description and make it optionally visible. As others have said, it would be nice to be able to toggle showing the entire description or only part of it. The default settings should remain the same, but allowing for these settings to be changed by people like us who need more would be a big plus. 

Like Deleted user likes this
Aaron Tennenhouse November 16, 2021

I seem to have more formating options in this forum than inside my card list.

This is frustrating because we use the card to share order info. Really we only use the card name, because we want to see all the info at a glance. Just like a row of tumblr posts. this forces us to write in a non stop block of text like this, rather than... on a card. Like a sticky note of "to dos" 

I want a card to be:

JOB TITLE
job type

Due date: Whenever.
Price: $$$$
Materials: ## of ## Brandname Blue 7x19
Number of things: ###
Material brandname ordered from company name.
JOB NOTES ABOUT THE JOB.

It'd be clear, straightforward, useful.

Instead it is

JOB TITLE. job type. Due date: Whenever. Price: $$$$. Materials: ## of ## Brandname Blue 7x19. Number of things: ###. Material brandname ordered from company name. JOB NOTES ABOUT THE JOB.

Alex Casal September 22, 2022

You can use the "Custom fields" section for that and then those data will show up in the board view

Michael Hoffman February 16, 2022

I was going to suggest rather than showing all the descriptions, it would be nice to be able to hover over or use a keyboard shorcut to show perhaps a smaller chunk of the description, kind of like a tool tip text ?

Like # people like this
josef novak April 12, 2022

OMG why devs always don't get this. Don't they use they own program???????? If you use it for like 5 minutes, it becomes apparent things like this are logical/practical and many times, it becomes unuseable without them... Why always users know this, but devs have no clue??? Don't they tell them to work on UI, so it doesn't suck ass and it is easy to use?

Like HBenzaoui likes this
Deleted user December 26, 2023

YES love this idea!

stuart_boon May 11, 2022

I'm look for this feature to clearly describe where people should put tasks.

mainly, I have a critical bugs column which i want to add the description "Bugs that MUST be fixed before the next release. A release cannot take place until this column is empty" 

This is to stop people from putting in minor bugs in and halting the release process and to make sure our programs don't go out with any critical bugs. 

In the meantime I will just continue with a long title but a description would be much nicer.

Like Choong min Lee likes this
HBenzaoui August 20, 2022

This has been on this board since 2017 its almost 2023 and still can't get to see the description on cards !

Like # people like this
Kevin Easom April 11, 2023

Any progress on this useful feature since first requested in2017?  This is one thing that the other PM boards have, that's calling me away from Trello.

Like # people like this
Włodek
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 25, 2023

Ha, what a joke:) Even Redmine agile plugin has this feature.

Like Kevin Easom likes this
Deleted user December 26, 2023

I'm hoping this will be added soon, but I don't have much hope since this was made in 2017.

I was considering switching to Trello (instead of Padlet) to be able to add a card counter (Dashcards Power Up) but I really need there to be a visible description.

A screenshot of one of my Padlet Cards:

Screenshot 2023-12-27 155454.png

Maybe add a toggle so it's optional? I know it isn't suitable for all boards because some have long descriptions.

Oh yes, also please make it free! It would be helpful for so many people like me!

If I can't find a decent workaround (which I haven't so far, after an hour of searching- the titles can't even be formatted to be used instead of the description), I might keep working in Padlet, even if it's harder to keep count of my cards. 

Vicky White
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 4, 2024

I can't believe it is 7.5 years later and you can still only see the card title and not an inch more. Just one or two lines to allow a few more details. I wanted to track quotations. I've got the builder name and company in the title. How nice it would be to put the price in the details and see it without opening the card. I keep coming back to Trello because it is pretty and I live in the hope that one day it will be better, but something always quickly drives me to leave again. 7.5 years says it all really.

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2024

Hi @Vicky White 

I feel your frustration.  Atlassian bought Trello and have slowly abandoned it.  
The truth is, it is highly unlikely that there will be new functionality for Trello developed by Atlassian.

The effort seems to be focused on growing Jira Work Management and trying to encourage the Trello users (the ones Atlassian want) to migrate to that...

What gives me hope is that even in today's highly competitive world, Trello is still incredibly popular amongst users.  To me, it is still an original and unique solution that does things differently to almost all solutions out there

Secondly, there is still a very active developer market for it.  The less Atlassian do with it, the more opportunity there is for developers to fill the void.  

For your particular example, you could use custom fields to make sure that info is on the front of the card...

Deleted user January 21, 2024

And what if we can't pay for Trello's plan to get those?

I've found the powerup Amazing Fields pretty good, although there is a longer loading time.

dashxd January 26, 2024

@[deleted] then you don't get the feature. what kind of question is that 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events