Adding gamification to a Trello board for onboarding

Hi all,

I'm currently creating a Trello board for onboarding new employees. It contains cards with information about the company, processes etc. and with tasks the new hire has to complete. Each card contains a checklist with one or more items.

To make it more fun I would like to add a little bit of gamification. For example, if the user has completed 10 cards he receives a new level / rank and gets an award.

Technically speaking, for the user (new employee) there should be a notification that he has reached a certain level. Ideally, something visual like a medal or certificate should added permantly to the board.

Another notification should go to the admin of the board to remind him to hand over the physical award (some swag like a t-shirt).

Any ideas how to realize this? Maybe there are some Power-ups to do this.

Any hints will be very much appreciated!

Thanks, Anne-Katrin

2 comments

Great idea, Anne-Katrin! Sounds like your new employees will be lucky to join such a fun and creative team.

While these features aren't built into Trello, we do have a blog post with some resources for gamification that you can check out here: https://blog.trello.com/get-more-done-gamify-your-life

Thanks, Caity! Yes I saw that post, it was actually an inspiration for my idea to gamify our board. I wonder if there are any experience reports or how-tos. I'm a little bit reluctant to allow a third party app access to our internal boards.

Aside from that blog post, we don't have any official resources for gamification in Trello.

That said, I definitely understand the reluctance to use a thid party extension. If you're comfortable with code or have access to an engineers, you could look into creating this functionality using our API, which is documented here: https://developers.trello.com/

Hey Anne,

Were you able to add gamification to a Trello board? If so, I would really appreciate if you can provide me any document that outlines how. I am trying to do the same but I do not how.

Thanks,
Charitha

Hi Charitha, 

the gamification feature is still on our wishlist, but we don't have development resources to do this on our own.

Sorry that I cannot help you. But maybe this continued demand could help to get gamification on the list of future features .... ;-)

Kind regards

Anne-Katrin

Thank you for the response!

Comment

Community showcase
Published Jan 18, 2018 in Trello

How two Biomed teachers use Trello to execute on Project Lead The Way

This is the first of many Showcases highlighting incredible Atlassian users in Education! And Michael Burke and Josh Clemmer are setting the Showcase bar high. The pair of Biome...

47,418 views 0 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you